8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2011 6:51 AM by Peter Spier

Exporting to PDF with different spreads

Davewils_82

I have a multi-page document which, when printed, creates a booklet. So the spread order is:

Back page | Front Page

Inside Front | Page 3

Page 4 | Page 5

Page 6 | Page 7

However for the PDF version that i want to make available online i want the following spread order:

Front Page | Inside Front

Page 3 

Page 4 | Page 5

Page 6 | Page 7

Back Page

Is this possible without creating an entire new inDesign Document?

• 1. Re: Exporting to PDF with different spreads
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should rarely need to create a document that is already imposed. This makes it more difficult for a professional printers to set up for their printing presses. Also, as you discovered it makes it difficult to repurpose the file for other uses.

You should mostly all the time have the pages run in consecutive order.

Then when you want to print a booklet yourself use the File>Print Booklet - or impose the document a different way - say File>Place into a new document using the page setup as you want.

You don't have to do recreate the document again. You can make a new document and the "File>Place" your current document into the order you require for creating the PDF for the web.

• 2. Re: Exporting to PDF with different spreads
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying you actually created it that way?

If so, your printer is not likely to be very happy with you at all.

Eugene has already filled you in on the details but I just wanted to be clear on how you set the document up.

Bob

• 3. Re: Exporting to PDF with different spreads
              Davewils_82 Level 1

This isnt a document which is going to a professional printers, it will just be printed internally. However i am interested to hear more about the problems using spreads cuases printers, as i would have thought this feature is an integral part of indesign, but from what i'm hearing, people dont use it?

• 4. Re: Exporting to PDF with different spreads
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You dop your design in readers's spreads, two individual pages, in consectutive order as a facing pages document, not one large page that contains two "finished" pages.

If you need to print imposed in house, you use Print Booklet or a script, and for professional printing you send the individual pages.

• 5. Re: Exporting to PDF with different spreads
                  Davewils_82 Level 1

yeah, they are, 2 individual pages -side-by-side as a 'spread' (or facing pages, whatever you call it).

• 6. Re: Exporting to PDF with different spreads

So in the document setup you have the page size set to the trim size of the booklet after folding and binding, right? That's what you want -- every page is independent of the others, but you are viewing first page alone, then second/third, fourth/fith, etch as two page spreads, until the last page whichy should also be a single. And you want to see them in order as they will appear after booklet assembly, not in the arrangement you would need to print the booklet two pages per side on a larger sheet.

• 7. Re: Exporting to PDF with different spreads
                      Davewils_82 Level 1

Essentially yes but it's a little bit more complex than that. I'd like to keep the 'spread' pages together. By this i mean i have some pages which essentially contain a particular 'theme' of information, which i would like to show on screen at the same time, then there are other individual pages, followed by another couple of 'themed' pages. So when viewing it in a PDF, i'd like it to show:

Cover & contents as a 2-page 'spread'.

Page 3 by itself.

Page 4 & 5 as a 2-page 'spread'.

Page 6 & 7 as a 2-page 'spread'.

Page 8 by itself.

Does that make sense?

• 8. Re: Exporting to PDF with different spreads

Depends on what you mean by making sense. If you mean do I understand what you are saying, yes. If you mean do I think that sort of arrangement is sensible, no.

Users should be free to view PDF any way they see fit. You can set an initial view in Acrobat Pro (not in ID), but that only sets how the PDF will open, and users are able to change the view settings to suit. Your choices in Acrobat are either individual pages or facing pages, with or without treating the cover as a separate page. The only way you are going to force the arrangement you suggest above is to either force ID to display the cover and inside cover as a spread and page 3 as a single (which you can do by not allowing page shuffling and dragging pages around), then export spreads (checkbox in the export dialog), or place the pages into a new document with page sizes adjusted to hold two or one page per new doc page and export that. Neither of those solutions, in my opinion, is a good thing to do to a user.