2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2011 5:24 AM by W. Bravenboer

Data Layout for massive merge

sethrosenberg

I am trying to figure out how to manipulate my data for a massive merge,    I am creating a ~250 page book -- each page is different  and each page has between 2 and 300 data merge points on it.  The data is currently in a format of 

LN1  DPA1  DPB1 DPC1 DPD1

LN2  DPA2  DPB2 DPC2 DPD2

LN3 .......

In this format neither  multiple records per page or single record will work.  

If I change it to 1 record for the entire book I will endup with a CSV with 15,000 or so columns  will Indesign handle this,  is there a better way

Just to complicate things the reason this data set needs to be merged is there are 218 versions of the 250 page book each with different data

-Seth

• 1. Re: Data Layout for massive merge
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm probably not understanding something here. I don't see any issue with the small sample you show for structure, except you say the number of fields is going to vary on each page. If that's the case, I don't think Data MErge is the right tool, and you may want to look at xml, or possibly one of the commercial catalog plugins.

• 2. Re: Data Layout for massive merge
            W. Bravenboer Level 1

It sounds very complicated, perhaps you could give us a more detailed example? Multiple page merging is possible with SmartStream, a plugin from HP. This is very extensive plugin, ideal for impositioning and complex merge jobs.

There a more plugins probably, but this is the one we use.