• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a page size limit when exporting a pdf from InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2011 Dec 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My indd file is 201x40 inches with a 1.5 inch slug. When I export to pdf I get this message, "The document page size exceeds the page size range supported in PDF files. Exported pages will be resized to fit within PDF limits."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the limit is still 200". I haven't tested recently but your message tends to make me think it is still the limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I think you may be right. In my research for this question, I kept seeing that there is no limit to a pdf size. Strange that InDesign page limit is around 216" and acrobat is less, I thought they were supposed to work together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the PDF spec mentions that it's feasible to create a PDF as large as 15,000,000 inches in either direction, 200 x 200 inches is Distiller’s limit for PostScript. It’s based on the Windows printer driver limitation.

If I read the quote below correctly, the maximum page size is 15 million inches (381 km).

"This is from the PDF Reference 1.6:

177. In PDF versions earlier than PDF 1.6, the size of the default user space unit is fixed at 172 inch. In Acrobat viewers earlier than version 4.0, the minimum allowed page size is 72 by 72 units in default user space (1 by 1 inch); the maximum is 3240 by 3240 units (45 by 45 inches). In Acrobat versions 5.0 and later, the minimum allowed page size is 3 by 3 units (approximately 0.04 by 0.04 inch); the maximum is 14,400 by 14,400 units (200 by 200 inches).

Beginning with PDF 1.6, the size of the default user space unit may be set with the UserUnit entry of the page dictionary. Acrobat 7.0 supports a maximum UserUnit value of 75,000, which gives a maximum page dimension of 15,000,000 inches (14,400 * 75,000 * 172). The minimum UserUnit value is 1.0 (the default)."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Jms: Why do you need the ID page size so big? If its for a banner (eg), most designers will design a banner that size at half or 1/4 the size, export the pdf and inform the printer.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Jms IS designing it at half or 1/4 size. 

But yeah, that's a good point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is created at 25%, but it looks like I'll size it down to 10%. I was just hoping to avoid the extra work.

To: JMS_Bill

Sent: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 09:25:59 -0600

Subject: Is there a page size limit when exporting a pdf from InDesign?

Re: Is there a page size limit when exporting a pdf from InDesign?

created by ~graffiti in Acrobat Macintosh - View the full discussion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines