15 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2012 11:07 AM by guyds1

Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?

mflynnAD

Hi all,

I'm running Windows 7 on a brand new i7, two monitors, and a nvidia Quadro 4000. I have most of the Windows display settings (Aero-stuff) turned off to speed up performance of Windows.

When I open Premiere, Premiere changes the Windows display settings to --something--. The two monitors flicker black and the Windows task bar changes color and opacity, just as if someone had gone into the Personalize control menu and changed my colors and display look.

The issue is this - because Premiere is changing my Windows desktop display, other programs are still using the prior (correct) display settings. This causes the other programs to crash whenever I try to toggle between them. It results in me ONLY being able to run Premiere by itself, which drastically slows down multi-tasking.

WHY IS PREMIERE CHANGING MY WINDOWS SETTINGS?

Better yet, how can I stop this? I can't find any project, general, or sequence settings which give any hint.

If I need to change Windows' personalization settings to match whatever Premiere is choosing itself, that's fine, but I still need to know what those settings are, so that all the programs will use them.

Thanks,

-Matt

• 1. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

Welcome to the forum.

This is odd, as PrPro is usually very, very benign with any OS settings. It is also something that I cannot recall reading about, but that does not mean that others are not having the same issue. Hope that Todd, or another Adobe person, can comment. Given your described situation, I would not be happy either.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
            mflynnAD Level 1

To add some info, Premiere will even crash AfterEffects or Photoshop if I switch over to it.

When I close Premiere, the monitors flicker black again, and Windows' desktop colors and opacity task bars are back to how I had them.

This didn't happen with my old computer opening the same PrPro files, and it happens when I open a brand new file, so I don't think it's a file issue.

Help please!

• 3. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting. As many users also have dual monitors, and use most of the various Adobe suites, I am surprised that this has not come up before. I have been racking my brain (actually, maybe wrecking my brain), but am not coming up with anything that would likely lead to this behavior. First thought was OpenGL, but then PS actually makes as much, or more use of OpenGL, than PrPro.

OK, you've got an nVidia Quadro 4000. What is your driver version/date?

Good luck, and wish that I had something to offer.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
                Keith_Clark Level 2

mflynnAD-hLG5c4 wrote:

When I open Premiere, Premiere changes the Windows display settings to --something--. The two monitors flicker black and the Windows task bar changes color and opacity, just as if someone had gone into the Personalize control menu and changed my colors and display look.

-Matt

this is usually what happenes when you open a more... uh.... legacy program in win7? like if i open Adobe Audition 1.5 in Win7, screen flickers and taskbars goes to solid color, as well as the screen takes that more square boxy win98se look. but that is just how these old as dirt legacy programs work. i have NEVER have anything cs4 or 5 do this though, very strange indeed.

• 5. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
                  mflynnAD Level 1

nVidia driver date is 10/7/2011, version 8.17.12.8558

• 6. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
                    mflynnAD Level 1

I've also tried setting Windows 7 desktop settings to the "classic" theme and opaque taskbar, but it still occurs. Perhaps there's a more primitive setting for Windows 7 desktop...?

• 7. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

While not the latest, that is still pretty new. Latest is 11/11/2011. I would try with that, just in case.

I cannot think of any other setting in Win7, but might well be missing one.

Note: the forum is being updated, so I could not attach the link to nVidia, but here it is: http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-tesla-win7-winvista-64bit-276.28-whql-driver.html

Good luck,

Hunt

Ps - Did not see a notification of server maintenance, but it appears that the Adobe/Jive servers are down?

• 8. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
                        Powered by Design Level 4

What do you have your Monitor Colors set to ? 

Im running it at True Color ( 32 bit )

GLenn

• 9. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
                          dmwerk Level 1

I've got the same issue with the same card (Quadro 4000) if makes you feel any better. Using driver 276.42 which appears to be the latest. Running 32 bit color on dual monitors at 2560x1440 (native resolution).

I don't have issues with apps crashing but I get the same annoying error and my screen flickers and turns black just as you discribe.

If you figure it out please post your solution.

-Dan

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
                            Paul@NYSMSC Level 1

I use a full-featured Win7 Aero desktop on my Quadro 4000.  I had a similiar issue to yours; "Aero" turned off when Pr opened and then "Aero"  would turn back on after exiting Pr.  If you go to the NVIDIA Control Panel, under Manage 3D settings, on the Global settings tab select Deep Color for 3D applications and set it to Disable.  Then check that Pr is using that setting by looking at the Pr entry on the Program Settings tab(If Pr is not in the programs list you can Add it).NVCP.jpg

• 11. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
                              mflynnAD Level 1

THIS IS IT!

Disabling the nVidia deep colors for 3d applications solved the uber-annoying "flicker-screen-settings-and-disrupt/crash-other-programs" issue. I specifically only disabled deep colors for Premiere, not for all 3d applications I use, because none of them have caused the same problem as Premiere.

This display-screen setting issue probably occurred because I use a Dell u3011 monitor which displays Adobe RGB color gamut, not just sRGB.

However, now this brings up another question with disabling deep colors (effectively disabling the Adobe RGB use of the Dell monitor):

QUESTION: If I have CG-rendered frames that seem to be created in sRGB and Adobe RGB (in two different programs), what color space should I be mixing/editing them in?

I'm somewhat of a novice with the color spectrum/gamut issue. From what I understand, if I edit both CG images in sRGB, I'll be losing color data from the Adobe RGB-created CG image. If I edit both CG images in Adobe RGB, will I create minor banding effects on the sRGB image because it doesn't have the color range that I'm editing in? Perhaps my question is more relevant to AfterEffects compositing of the images rather than simply/only editing them in Premiere.

The end result is something like an architectural film/ flythrough.

Thanks,

-Matt

• 12. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
                                Paul@NYSMSC Level 1

Glad to see you checked up on this thread.

<<<QUESTION: If I have CG-rendered frames that seem to be created in sRGB and Adobe RGB (in two different programs), what color space should I be mixing/editing them in? >>>

This is a bit off topic but, I'd work in whatever colorspace your final product distribution format uses.

• 13. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
                                  guyds1

Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue with another (non-Adobe) product and this is the only thread I could find that seems to be related and does offer a solution.

Unfortunately, I don't have the "deep color" option in my NVidia control panel for some reason.

I already tried several reinstalls (even older driver versions), but that didn't help.

Can someone tell me why I don't have that option are what I can do to turn the "deep color" setting off ?

FYI: I have an NVidia Quadro 600 (1GB) and I'm currently using the latest NVidia driver (v296.70)

Thanks,

Guy DS

nvidia_settings.png

• 14. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
                                    mflynnAD Level 1

Hi Guy,

Have you checked in the "Program settings" tab for your specific program? It's not on your "Global settings" tab but perhaps it's listed by another name under the specific non-Adobe app you have.

Otherwise, try contacting Nvidia through their online chat help (via their website/ support area). They are really responsive and should be able to give you a reason or solution.

-Matt

• 15. Re: Why is Premiere changing Windows 7 display settings?
                                      guyds1 Level 1

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately the program-specific options in the NVidia control panel are exactly the same as the global settings.

The only difference is that some parameters are overriden for some of the programs.

But I'll try to contact NVidia directly.

Thanks for the suggestions !

Guy