2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 12:54 PM by ramonsodoma

How to replace text with text variable

jasonsbailey Level 1

Hi,

I've just made the jump to version 5.5 of the creative suite, and I am trying to figure out how to replace all instances of "text" with a text variable using "Find/Change".  In essence, I'm trying to do the reverse of "convert variable to text" for every instance of "text" in the document.

I'm no computer or InDesign newbie, but so far, it has eluded me. Any tips?

Thanks all!

• 1. Re: How to replace text with text variable
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, so I don't know if you really mean you want to replace a specific string with another specific string, or if you want to replace it with a variable so it will pick up other text. If the latter, a variable is treated as a single character, and the way I would approach this would be to make a text frame on the pasteboard someplace, then define and insert the variable in the frame. Now copy the variable marker to the clipboard.

In Find/Change search for your "text" string, then replace with the contents of the clipboard. Keep in mind that a variable will not wrap across lines, so if this is in running text you may have some problems with fitting.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to replace text with text variable
            ramonsodoma

Hello Peter,

Thank you!

This is exactly what I was looking for!

I had no clue this was possible.

Somethings aren't obvious with InDesign...

What could improve is search within the book files without having to open them...