4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2011 6:25 AM by millyapple

indesign page layout

millyapple Level 1

I have made a document with master pages used, as a double page spread. I need to send it to the printer as single page document. Does anyone know how to repaginate the document and maintain the master page guides etc.?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: indesign page layout
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your description is not clear, so I don't know if you've already done everything correctly, or if you have a lot of copy and paste work ahead of you.

Documents for print should be set up wit a page size that matches the trim dismensions of the finished piece, so for a book that means your page size is half a spread, and you set up as facing pages so you see the full spread just as your readers do. You desing in this view, but when you export to PDF  to send to the printer you get individual pages.

If you set up your file with a page size that matches a full spread you need to make a new document  with single pages, then copy the objects for each page (you can do a full spread at a time) and Paste in Place in the new doc.

• 2. Re: indesign page layout
            millyapple Level 1

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I am in the process of finessing this for the printer. I will be providing pdf's for print. However because it's such a large document (128 pages) they've requested I send them the indesign layout as single page spreads.

I'm confused about the bleed.

As a double spread, if i give each page on all sides a bleed of 3mm, when it is exported to pdf, the 3mm that i've left on the spine side of each page shows up on the pdf document as an overlay.

Should I not be doing a 3mm bleed on the spine side?

Thanks

• 3. Re: indesign page layout
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Here's a screen capture of a fairly typical newsletter. It's set up as facing  pages, and I've included the Pages panel so you can see waht that should  look like for this type of document:

Facing Pages.png

I picked this particular spread because it has color and imagery going to the spine, but not crossing. In a case like this whether you will need an inside bleed is dependent on the binding method. In the case of this newsletter, there is no need because the page count is low enough that creep will not be a factor and the booklet will be folded and stitched. For a perfect-bound book, or for spiral binding, you would probably want to add bleed at the spine. To do that you would, first, specify a bleed amount in the setup, and, second, "split" any spread the has content that touches the spine but does not coninue across in such a way that using the opposite page for the bleed area will work (as would be the case with this spread). For directions on how to do that, see InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Breaking Pages Apart to Bleed Off a Spine

This is what you see after splitting a spread and adding the inside bleed (zoomed out far enough to show you two pasteboards):

Facing Pages split.png

There's a script inthe comments of the article I linked above that will split all the spreads in a document, but you only need to do spreads that actually require you to extend the content aling the spine in a way that it isn't already appearing onthe opposite page. If, for example, you have a lrge image crossing over that extends beyond the bleed allowance on both sides, or if there is blank space on both sides in the bleed area, there is no need to split the spread.

• 4. Re: indesign page layout
                millyapple Level 1

thankyou very much for making such an in detail response.

All very helpful.