4 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2008 11:35 AM by mjdundeez

Dynamic Text within Image

mjdundeez
      Hopefully this is the correct forum for this question. I am looking to create an image that is static, but embed dynamic text that is driven from a database of geo-targeted information. Essentially, if you visit a website, a banner ad appears but depending on your physical location (let's say Miami FL), the text on the banner ad says Miami. Or if you are in Detroit, it says Detroit. Is FW capable of this? If not, what tool should I be looking at using? Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Dynamic Text within Image
          abeall Level 3
          So you are looking to use Fireworks on a webserver as a hosted service? See if this gives you any ideas:
          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/rpc_server_pt1.html
          • 2. Re: Dynamic Text within Image
            mjdundeez Level 1
            Thanks and Yikes... that's more indepth than I envisioned. Is this the only way to do this?
            • 3. Re: Dynamic Text within Image
              abeall Level 3
              If it's more in depth than you were expecting then I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do... could describe the process a bit more? If you want someone to be able to view an image in their browser and have text in the image reflect their location, there is no image format that allows you to do that (JPG/GIF/PNG). So the only way is going to be to dynamically create a new image, which you could do I think with Fireworks and the RPC server, but I don't even really know.

However, if I was going to do this, I'd use Flash and an SWF. You could easily make an SWF which had a background image created in Fireworks, and some dynamic text over top.
              • 4. Re: Dynamic Text within Image
                mjdundeez Level 1
                What you described seems accurate. What I meant by more than I expected, was more so from my level of effort. I was hoping there was a technique to marry up a JPG or other with text using ASP/Java. But based on your last recomendation, it sounds like Flash may be the ticket. I'll need to investigate as to how this can be done, as I don't want to use a SWF file due to many visitors are not flash friendly. So hopefully there's a way to build it using flash then export to a JPG?