12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2017 5:05 AM by rob day

Merge Document

abssiddiq Level 1

Hi,

I have two Indesign Document  one starts with Page Number 1-52 and and another document with Page Number 53-100. These two documents are separate Indesign files.

Is there any way to merge these indesign Document.

Indesign Platform: CS5

thanks

Siddiq

• 1. Re: Merge Document
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can move the page from one file into the oter for a true merge to a single document, or you can make a Book (File > New > Book...) and add them both to keep them separate for editing. You should read about Books in the help files.

• 2. Re: Merge Document
            John Hawkinson Level 5

You can move the page from one file into the oter for a true merge to a single document

Just to be clear, you do so by opening both documents and then using Pages (panel menu) > Move Pages.

• 3. Re: Merge Document
              abssiddiq Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have succesfully moved the Pages but there is running head overlaps.

Is there any way to clear this.

Thanks

Siddiq

• 4. Re: Merge Document

We need more info. Perhaps some before and after screen shots? Where are these running heads comiong from?

• 5. Re: Merge Document
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Did you copy the master pages?

• 6. Re: Merge Document
                    abssiddiq Level 1

Peter,

The Running Head was the from the Source Document which overlaps with the New Document Running Head .

Picture 1.png

I have not copied any master Pages

Thanks

Siddiq

• 7. Re: Merge Document

OK, so it looks as if maybe you have a master page conflict. When you move pages from one document to another, anything that is defined with the same name in both documents takes on the the defintion used inthe receiving document. This applies to styles, swatches, and even master pages.

If you rename the master page in one document, BEFORE you move the pages, you'll probably eliminate the issue, or use the Book feature and don't synchronize the master pages.

• 8. Re: Merge Document
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

The other problem is that overridden master page objects may be duplicated. I don't know if a good way to fix this that isn't manual.

• 9. Re: Merge Document
                          Home Power Level 1

I know that this thread is from way back, but I was having the same master page conflicts when trying to merge documents. I figuered out the solution:

1. Select all (or the desired) pages in the source document Pages Pallet, and choose "Override all master page items" from the pull-down menu in the upper right of the pallet. This will detach those master page elements from the master, (making them discrete objects actually on the page) so when you eventually move the page(s) to the new destination document, the master pages at that location wont change anything.

2. Before you move the pages, and still with all (or appropriate) pages selected in the Pages Pallet, also choose "Apply master pages..." and choose "none". This will make the pages you are going to move unaffected by master pages at all, so the master page elements in the destination document won't be re-applied on top of (actually underneath) your newly added pages. (You have to do this step AFTER step 1 above, or you will loose the master page element that you want to keep.)

3 Now drag your pages from the Pages Pallet in the source document and just drop them onto the workspace of the destination document. This will open a dialog box allowing you to define where those pages go.

I hope this help anyone in the future.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Merge Document
                            Migintosh Level 4

While this method will solve a specific problem, I think it does so at the cost of reduced functionality. Presumably, things are on a master page for a reason. By moving them to the document pages, you lose the ability to adjust things that appear on all pages by simply editing the items on the master page. You also don't get the advantage of master items being locked on document pages. I think changing the name of the master pages in the source document before the merge is less work than what you described, and gives a better result. Each of us may do as we please, but I wouldn't recommend your solution.

• 11. Re: Merge Document
                              Home Power Level 1

Hmmm, potentially a valid point, depending on your ultimate goal.

Definitely my solution is based on the layout being finished. That's the part of the process I'm at when merging separate documents into a single doc...in my case, merging separate articles into a single magazine so I can then "Publish" the full document Online. Presumably, I won't need to make design changes that would require the masters to do anything.

As for ease, my solution requires 3 mouse clicks. Definitely easier than thinking up, then typing, new names for 3 sets of master pages in each of the dozen docs I'm merging into one.

I agree that if you're just trying to merge two documents into one so that you can then continue to make design changes from there...best for each different master style to have its own discrete name.

• 12. Re: Merge Document
                                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As for ease, my solution requires 3 mouse clicks. Definitely easier than thinking up, then typing, new names for 3 sets of master pages in each of the dozen docs I'm merging into one.

Re: Resolving color name conflicts when combining ID documents