3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2011 9:35 PM by unatratnag

NooB Question: Cutting Tracks and Shifting Timelines

unatratnag

Let's say I have tons of tracks.  In the middle I find I want to tighten up a few seconds of footage.  I can cut, or delete the clip, but I still have to select all subsequent clips and make sure they move up.  There has to be a more intelligent way of deleting a few seconds of footage and moving everything up?

Sorry for the noob question, I was looking on google and wasn't sure what to look for.  I'm open for information that can help me tighten my searches up as well.  Cheers.

• 1. Re: NooB Question: Cutting Tracks and Shifting Timelines
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The answers will probably depend most on a few factors:

In your Timeline, are there Clips above the area of the Clip that you wish to Trim?

What do you want to happen to those?

Are you only concerned with "tightening up" the Clips on the same Video Track, where you are Trimming, or Clips on other Video Tracks too?

It is likely that the Ripple Edit Tool, or Rt-click and Ripple Delete, will do what you want, but that can depend on the other Clips on other Video Tracks, and what you need.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: NooB Question: Cutting Tracks and Shifting Timelines
            shooternz Level 6

Tons of tracks!

How many video tracks do you actually have?

(can you screen grab for us)

I occassionaly see an editor using far too many tracks ( un necessarily).

Timeline management includes organising the tracks and less is best.

Any timeline should be able to use the ripple tools to shift and control spaces for all clips.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: NooB Question: Cutting Tracks and Shifting Timelines
              unatratnag Level 1

Thanks shooternz. I think you're probably right about poor track management on my part. As a noob, I have continually gone up a track rather than re-use existing tracks. My bad! I will definitely keep this as a best practice in the future as I've found it to be incredibly annoying for this small project I was working on!