4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2011 9:07 AM by the_wine_snob

Video Levels and Deinterlacing

socalkev

I have been trying out Premiere Elements 10 and had a couple of questions. First, if I take AVCHD footage and check the video levels in Premiere Pro, it seems to indicate that the video is 0-255 on the RGB scale. Is there any way to test or see the video levels in Premiere Elements 10? And am I correct in assuming that Adobe converts AVCHD to 0-255, as opposed to Sony Vegas, which does 16-255?

My second question involves deinterlacing. Is it necessary to select the field options - deinterlace option when rendering web video like WMV, MP4, and FLV, or will Elements do this auotmatically? If I need to select deinterlacing, does it need to be applied on a clip for clip basis, or will selecting it under clip - video options only apply it to video that needs it and not deinterlace, say, a still picture in the timeline that is already progressive? In other words, if selecting deinterlacing is necessary for web videos, does doing so at the clip level cause any quality loss to progressive still images in the project?

• 1. Re: Video Levels and Deinterlacing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you use the proper project settings for your source video, the program will automatically deinterlace it when you Share it as a web-based video.

• 2. Re: Video Levels and Deinterlacing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

A brightness range from 16 - 235 is the common "broadcast" range. I have never seen 16 - 255. Most professional NLE programs will allow one to limit the range to the Broadcast Standard, as most broadcast signals cannot handle Superwhites, or Superblacks. I do not believe that there is any broadcast settings in PrE, as it is not designed for that type of work. PrPro, however, has that capability.

Not sure what Sony is doing with the 16 - 255, as that will include Superwhites, that most broadcast signals cannot effectively handle.

Good luck, and I see that Steve has addressed the interlacing issue.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Video Levels and Deinterlacing
              socalkev Level 1

Steve: Thank you for the response; makes things much easier. I assume that includes FLV, WMV, and MOV - are mobile formats like MP4 and 3GP similar?

Bill: It is a constant source of frustration, as any type of video has to be color corrected to either 0-255 or 16-235 depending on the intended output, adding to render times because effects are included. I had learned to live with it, but am now using After Effects more and am tired of the constant color conversions necessary going back and forth. It boggles my mind that any "Pro" NLE would do something so totally nonstandard for either broadcast or computer. Here is a blog post from the cineform site that explains it. The Sony preview window expects 0-255, even though they convert YUV video to 16-255, so all video looks washed out when placed in this editor.

http://techblog.cineform.com/?p=2959

• 4. Re: Video Levels and Deinterlacing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Though PrPro offers many CC Effects, right now, many use AE for Color Grading. However, things might change. Here are some recent threads on what Adobe is planning:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/938287?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/939053?tstart=0

For the vast majority of my work, I use PrPro, and AE. Remember, PrE is not a "pro-level" NLE, and is basically designed for DVD/BD, and then delivery to sites like YouTube. There are few, if any, broadcast functions in it.

Good luck,

Hunt