4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2011 6:42 AM by rob day

Importing Word Doc

Generally Confused

Hi,

I tried placing a word document into the first page frame of a new InDesign document and only page number one in the InDesign pages appear to have any of the text from the Word doc. I am just getting started with InDesign. I've heard there is a very steep learning curve, and aparently that is correct. Anyway, I'm trying to get my 200+ page Word doc into InDesign. Any help?

Mike

• 1. Re: Importing Word Doc
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hold the Shift key when you click to palce the Word file. ID will add frames and pages as needed.

You might want to spend some time in the Help files...

• 2. Re: Importing Word Doc
            Generally Confused Level 1

Thanks Peter. Been in the help section. Sometimes nothing works, even if it is right in front of you nose. Shift key... Hum mm

Sent from my iPad

• 3. Re: Importing Word Doc
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you saying the shift key is not working? What's the OS? Waht's your version, and patch level, of ID?

• 4. Re: Importing Word Doc
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I tried placing a word document into the first page frame of a new InDesign document and only page number one in the InDesign pages appear to have any of the text from the Word doc.

If your cursor is in a text fame when you choose Place the text loads into the frame and you'll get an overset icon in the lower left corner of the frame if there's too much text.

If you create a new document and don't add a text frame, Peter's suggestion will work. Choose Place and then Shift-click on the upper left margin. New pages with text frames to the margins will be added to hold all of the placed text.

If you want to start inside an existing text frame: place the text in the frame, click the overset icon with a selection tool, go to and shift-click on page 2 and new pages will be automatically added.