19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 6:29 PM by RjL190365

Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?

Votary105

Currently i am running

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Intel i7-960

18GB ddr3-1600

2x500GB WD Blue in raid 0

• 1. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which graphics adapter... ATI or nVidia... and which model?

>2x500GB WD Blue in raid 0

If that is all, so you have Win7 AND software AND video files... you have a serious bottleneck

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit

Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing

Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433 use USB externals for editing

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata Dock below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 2. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
            Votary105 Level 1

sorry it posted and than i tried to edit and it said i could so i lost everything i had typed so i am doing it again.

Above is my current setup and it is glitching and scrubbing the timeline is a slideshow at best. The only thing installed on the computer is Windows, Production Premium and an Anit-Virus.

Questions

1. Would putting in a 60GB SSD from my personal computer as a scratch disk help remedy this situation?

2. Would getting a 3rd drive and making a 3xraid 0 improve performance while scrubbing and play back?

3. Would pulling out the i7-960 and putting in a i7-980 help? (i don't think it will has cpu usage is around 75% when scrubbing so it is not maxing it out but)

4. Would putting windows on the SSD and than using 1 HDD as a drive for footage and 1 HDD for a scratch disk be a better path?

5. Would adding a Nvidia 570 or 580 help with scrubbing or does CUDA not help with that?

6. Would adding in some more ram help the situation? (i have never seen ram usage about 11GB but i thought i would ask).

Any suggestions?

Again, i apologies for this not being in the first post. Where is the edit button?

• 3. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
              shooternz Level 6

IMHO you wont need to go to any of the lengths you suggest (#1-6.)

My sytem hardware is far less endowed... and its sweet.

There are very capable people here who will work out what is giving you this bad editing experience.

Standby..the cavalry are on the way.

. and ignore our joshing.  You will get used to it.

• 4. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?

I think we were both writing at the same time... so read my previous message about using multiple drives to share the read/write load

I edit AVCHD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694 and am happy with 3 hard drives, as stated above

• 5. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?

>ignore our joshing

Hmm... I haven't seen any messages from Josh(ing) lately... so what's to ignore?

Anyway... back to serious... 2 separate hard drives (never partitions!) is absolute minimum... 3 or 4 drives is better

I don't do raid, so can't comment on that... except that having only 1 effective drive, even in raid, just is not going to work very well

• 6. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                    Votary105 Level 1

But and I know that this isn't true for most things but Adobe says  Raid 0 7200rpm drives. I meet that so it shouldn't be this bad. So i will get better performance from 2 separate drives than a Raid 0 of these 2 drives? That doesn't make sense to me.

• 7. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                      Votary105 Level 1

At the moment i am running a dirty old ATI x700. Good for displaying windows and thats about all. I am looking into getting a 570 or 580 for CUDA but at the moment if it is not going to help while editing than im not all that interested in moving away.

So in an ideal world i should stick in 2 more drives.

1 for footage

1 for scratch disk and

My current Raid 0 for windows and PrPro?

• 8. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                        shooternz Level 6

Start with an approved Nvidia Card and experience the wonders of the MPE miracle for editors.

• 9. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                          Votary105 Level 1

Ok. So the next questions i would ask are

What effects performance more, compute (shader count and clock speed) or memory size? I ask as there are some GTX570 with 2.5GB of ram. But if a 580 with 1.5 is enough than i would go down that route. Would a 580 with 3GB of ram be a noticeable/measurable difference?

• 10. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                            Darren Kelly

From where I see it, you need to improve performance in 2 ways.

1. Video Card

2. Drive throughput.

I'm using, and I am a big supporter of the GTX570 card. I only have 1.28GB of Ram, and have often wondered the same this as you have, should I have poped for more memory. So far, I think the answer is no, so a standard 570 should do the trick.

On hard drives, a simple RAID 0 of 2-8 drives that are 7200rpm, and have the latest 32 or 64 meg cache will make a huge difference when scrubbing, etc. Put video and your render files on these two drives. Basically anything on the timeline can go on these drives. Drives shot up in price recently, butin September I bought 2 X 3TB - 7200rpm, 64meg cache drives for about $170 each. I have them raided 0. I will add something else for backup in January.

You may need a better fan, or fans to keep things cool. Keep an eye on your temperatures. Things like Hard Drives and processors seem to like to fail when it gets too hot.

Good Luck

• 11. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

It appears that you are having playback and scubbing problems.

Have you tuned your system and turned off unecessary processes running in the background?.

• 12. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                                Votary105 Level 1

So if i am meant to stick the footage and scratch? ontoa raid 0 of 2 or more drives i will need to redo windows since i will either need to buy 2 more HDDs (with prices being a bit inflated its a bit more of a stretch) or puting an SSD in as a boot at drive and migrating everything else onto the 2x500 raid 0?

Temps are a none issue, plenty of air flow. That should be kept around 30C anyways.

@Bill Gehrke

I have tuned it as well as i know how. I've removed hibernation as well as reducing the page file down to 2GB.

I've only got minimum software install as this machine only does editing. Currentl with IE and PrPro open i have 52 processes running with no abnormal spikes in cpu or disk usgae in performance monitor.

I set in PrPro to use 15 of the 18GB of ram available. I also selected under preferences/memory Optimize rendering for performance.

Are there any other changes you can suggest?

• 13. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                                  package008

I am quite new to video editing, and need s little advice.

Runing:

Win7 Home Premium x64 Svc Pack1

Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 280GHz

8GB DDR3 PC3-10600

1.5TB hdd

650 watt pwr supply

Radeon HD5450 Vid Card

Using Premiere Pro 5.5 to edit True HD video for atheletic footage highlight reels, I want to know which Vid Card is best to upgrade too.  I called AMD, and he questioned the need for a FirePro Card.

I looked at the following:

AMD FirePro™ V4900         1GB -  $170
                                  ATI FirePro™ V5800            1GB - $359
                                  XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870  1GB - $170

My price range is under $350 if possible.  Any ideas will help. Thanks.

Package

• 14. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                                    Darren Kelly Level 1

No one suggested an AMD or an ATI card.

It is suggested that you look at something like an Nvidia GTX570. You should get that for about $350.00

• 16. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                                      RjL190365 Level 4

As Darren stated, you are better off with a GeForce GTX 570. No AMD or ATI GPU is supported at all with MPE GPU acceleration; those AMD/ATi or any other non-Nvidia GPUs will force Premiere Pro CS5.x to be "permanently" locked to MPE software-only mode.

In addition, you will need to add two additional internal fast hard drives to your system if that 1.5TB hard drive is the only disk in your system at all. Plus, the addition of 8 more GB of RAM will help.

• 17. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                                        package008 Level 1

Thank you!

I will be adding 8 GB more of additional RAM tomorrow, and getting the GeForce GTX 570.  You have all been very helpful

• 18. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                                          package008 Level 1

Today I purchased 16GB of ram, and the GTX 570HD, and a 650w power supply because the manufacturer suggested at least 550w to run the video card..

After got home I decided to take 2 addtl hard drives from comuters I am no longer using and add them to my system after reading info in the help menus for premeire pro.

QUESTION:  Is the 650w supply enough with the addt'l hdds?  or is it a non-issue (adding the two 120 GB hdds)?

• 19. Re: Improving PrPro CS5.5 from hardware?
                                            RjL190365 Level 4

Personally, I would not recommend adding the two 120GB HDDs at all. Here's why:

1) Are those 120GB HDDs SATA? Or are they IDE?

2) In any event, those 120GB hard drives are pig-slow by today's standards even though they spin at 7200 RPM. In fact, some of them cannot attain a maximum sequential transfer speed of even 50 MB/s! And even configured as RAID 0, two 120GB hard drives are slower than one single 5400 RPM "green" drive in sequential speed performance. As a result, if you are using them for everyday use in an editing system, those old-generation drives will slow down yout system's performance in editing quite severely. And their capacity is just too small for media storage. Did you know that we recommend against "green" drives in an editing system? Well, that advice holds even more true when it comes to old or old-generation hard drives regardless of their rotational speed since they are significantly slower than "Green" drives in sequential speed.

In other words, depending on the age of those 120GB hard drives, you might be better off using those old 120GB dirves as a door stop.