6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2011 2:02 AM by PECourtejoie

plugs-in to see in 3D (or as visualization) before printing

x04001

Hi,

i going to create print media (letterhead, business cards, flyers, brochures...) and i would like to know if there is a plug-in to visualize / render the work in 3D as if it was already printed on paper ?

thank a lot.

• 1. Re: plugs-in to see in 3D (or as visualization) before printing
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

There is at least one such program for packaging design (I can’t remember the name of the company or the program, though); but that’s serious stuff and costly (as metallic colors, imprints, different kinds of paper, folding etc are taken into account).

As you seem to be talking about basically 2D-products I wonder why you would want that; or if basic Photohop functionality and its more recent 3D features should not be up to the task – not to mention simply printing out the stuff.

• 2. Re: plugs-in to see in 3D (or as visualization) before printing
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sounds like you are trying to do something simple the hard way. Unless you do this hundreds of times a month, it is probably not worth investing in any specific programs but rather simply print reasonably calibrated proofs on the paper you intend to use. And even if you were to get yourself into that 3D thing, I'd first try with what PS has to offer or free tools like Blender can do. In any case, doing 3D will require some learning for adjusting materials, textures and lighting, so don't expect ultrareal results at the click of a button. In the end you may even spend more time making the 3D look right than actually working on your designs, so it becomes a question of "Why bother at all?". That also gets problematic when your clients request changes or want to mark corrections - that's much easier based on a physical item rather than looking at pretty pictures.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: plugs-in to see in 3D (or as visualization) before printing
              x04001 Level 1

Basically i don't want to spend too much time to do it. i just would like to turn my 2D from photoshop/illustrator to something more "real" to make customers see how it can look like in the real life on paper.

i would like to find some tools which just take my 2D like a skin and "dress a 3D blank paper with it... so i could have several 3D paper formats (A4, business card...) and just skin them with my 2D work.

• 4. Re: plugs-in to see in 3D (or as visualization) before printing
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

So print it on paper that’s as similar as possible to the paper that will be used, or better yet have proofs be made by professionals (of course the degree to which a proof will correspond to the actual print depends on the info about the actual process and whether that conforms to a standard; metallic colors and imprinting may not be achievable, though).

Maybe you could post an example/mock-up of what you are after, because to me it seems a bit unclear.

• 5. Re: plugs-in to see in 3D (or as visualization) before printing
                  Bo LeBeau Level 4

When you are creating stationery items like business cards, letterhead and envelopes you will be sending the customer a proof for them to approve before sending to print.

The customer is only concerned with the correct spelling of information and also the layout of the text and logos on the item, not some "this is how your business card might appear if you held it at a certain angle with a spotlight coming from the side putting a drop shadow behind the item".

Mockups of packaging products might benefit from this treatment but not straightforwards items as you described above.

If you are doing mainly print products you should use InDesign not Photoshop. This is the standard application for this.

The typographic features in InDesign are more refined than in any other Adobe application.

There are also many other reasons too numerous to mention here why InDesign should be used.

You can create proofs from InDesign by exporting a PDF to send to the customer.

I can sort of pound a nail with a screwdriver handle, but its better to use a hammer.

Use the best tool for print products; InDesign rather than Photoshop, which has much more limited features for creating print products.

• 6. Re: plugs-in to see in 3D (or as visualization) before printing
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

i would like to find some tools which just take my 2D like a skin and "dress a 3D blank paper with it...

That's not gonna work. In so many words: It's gonna look crap. A good perception of 3D is determined by more than just the diffuse color (which is essentially what you wanna do). Things like the paper's own glossiness and fibre structure will figure in, the gloss and density of the inks (and how the affect the paper's translucency) and several other things, none of which can simulated with just a color texture. You'd either need additional textures in order to control the amount of these phenomena or have your items as separate geometry entities, so each can have its own material. So unless you are prepared to do that and in your production workflow have the time and resources, it's not worth even trying...

Mylenium

• 7. Re: plugs-in to see in 3D (or as visualization) before printing
                      PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

I've seen many actions or even smart objects where you could put your logo -design and have it showcased in pseudo 3D...

Just google "Business cards display action", or "smart object business cards", "photoshop action business cards", etc.

Not everybody might find it tasteful, and do remember, as stated earlier that one catches typos/design problems (logo that might not look right if held upside-down...) better with a real life print, rather than a mockup.