7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2011 2:46 AM by ryan_khoo

How come AE cannot interpret Alpha Channel from ProRes4444 ?

ryan_khoo Level 1

Hi there,

I exported a video clip using Final Cut Pro X with alpha channel using the ProRes4444 codec.

I have tested his alpha channel works & it works in FInal Cut Pro X when I import it back to Final Cut Pro X to test it.

However, when I bring this file to After Effects CS5, it cannot recognize the alpha channel because the transparent part are all in solid black.

How do I make AE interpret the ProRes4444 file as transparent with alpha channel ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How come AE cannot interpret Alpha Channel from ProRes4444 ?
          Johnathan A. M.

that black part may be the alpha channel, between "active camera" and the preview resolution (full) there is a little checkerboard pattern, click that, and it will show transparancy in the checkerboard, sorry if you've always tried this, but start with the simple solutions first

• 2. Re: How come AE cannot interpret Alpha Channel from ProRes4444 ?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you check the file interpretation in After Effects? I've never had a problem with ProRez 4444 files.

• 3. Re: How come AE cannot interpret Alpha Channel from ProRes4444 ?
              ryan_khoo Level 1

Rick Gerard wrote:

Did you check the file interpretation in After Effects? I've never had a problem with ProRez 4444 files.

Thanks Rick,

Q1. But how do I check the file interpretation in AE ?

Q2. I am using AE CS5. Is it bcos you are using AE CS5.5 that you never have problem with ProRes4444 ?

Thanks

• 4. Re: How come AE cannot interpret Alpha Channel from ProRes4444 ?

ryan_khoo wrote:

Q2. I am using AE CS5. Is it bcos you are using AE CS5.5 that you never have problem with ProRes4444 ?

Q1. This is part of the basics. Select the file you want to interpret in the Project Panel then either right click or go to the menu File>Interpret Footage>Main or use the keyboard shortcut Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + G

Screen Shot 2011-12-18 at 2.44.58 PM.png

Q2. Nope... It's always worked. There were some gamma problems for a while, and a few other bugs here and there with ProRez, but if you're Mac is up to date you should have no problems with the alpha channel.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How come AE cannot interpret Alpha Channel from ProRes4444 ?
                  ryan_khoo Level 1

Rick Gerard wrote:

ryan_khoo wrote:

Q1. This is part of the basics. Select the file you want to interpret in the Project Panel then either right click or go to the menu File>Interpret Footage>Main or use the keyboard shortcut Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + G

Screen Shot 2011-12-18 at 2.44.58 PM.png

Q2. Nope... It's always worked. There were some gamma problems for a while, and a few other bugs here and there with ProRez, but if you're Mac is up to date you should have no problems with the alpha channel.

Thanks Rick for your help, I really appreciate it as I am not quite familiar with AE.

Q1. I did the steps you taught me & a new screen pop out. But under the "Main Options" tab, the section under Alpha, there are 4 choices (Ignore, Straight-Unmatted, Premutliplied-Matted with color, Invert Alpha). But all these was all greyed out. Any idea why ?

Q2. I am using Mac & I just checked my AE CS5 is Version 10.0. I am a student and i bought the Student Edition. Student Edition not allowed to update, right ?

Thanks

• 6. Re: How come AE cannot interpret Alpha Channel from ProRes4444 ?

Run the updates. And yes, you can upgrade, update, do anything you want with a student edition.

• 7. Re: How come AE cannot interpret Alpha Channel from ProRes4444 ?
                      ryan_khoo Level 1

Rick Gerard wrote:

Run the updates. And yes, you can upgrade, update, do anything you want with a student edition.

Yes Rick, the problem solved by updating to Version 10.0.1.

I am on Mac. My previous version was ver 10.0.

After updating, I re-import the alpha channel files with ProRes4444 & AE can recognize the alpha channel.

Thanks again, Rick, you have been great.

Merry Xmas to you & everyone here.

Cheers