13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 6:12 AM by c.pfaffenbichler

How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)

Astara_ Level 1

Is there any way to see a property list of your Photoshop 'document' (insides or outside, though having available from outside would be more flexible) that shows the contents of it document? like a other programs can list a folder document's contents by type and size?).   How about the 'meta' information -- thinks like an object's inclusion date (maybe like a 'creation/date or time'), .. etc?

At the least, can I have it list out the NUMBER of layers in my document?  (names and sizes would be nice, but just a count would be better than nothing).

Besides layers, other included objects, like shapes, defined gradients, (not those that have been convernted to bitmaps, but define a gradient on a layer), brushes..etc...and their sizes?  Is there a 'reference count' kept for these things?  I.e. if I use a shape, and it adds it to my 'catalog', If I decide I don't want to use it, or delete it, does it stay in my document's inventory list?

For frequently used shapes/gradients or (whatever object), does it keep a reference count?  I.e. say I use a 1k*1k shape.  @standard 8bits/color, that's 4MB (RBGA).  If I Use that same standard shape on 100 layers, does it store it only once and reference it, or does it take up 400MB?

It would be nice to know where one's space is going or at least be able to know how many layers are in one's document (would be nicer still if this was displayable in explorer (win) or whatever file manager one uses...as a property column like one can choose 'size', or 'author'...or 'owner'...

• 1. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

On Mac the File Info lists the Layers.

Besides layers, other included objects, like shapes, defined gradients, (not those that have been convernted to bitmaps, but define a gradient on a layer), brushes..etc...and their sizes?

You may want to reconsider your question.

Brushes are not connected to psd-files.

And by what you call shapes you probably mean Solid Color Layers with Vector Masks.

• 2. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

If I Use that same standard shape on 100 layers, does it store it only once and reference it, or does it take up 400MB?

If you are talking about Vector Masks/Paths I assume they will have to be stored individually as their points are defined with coordinates and as I assume further that you don’t use the same Vector Mask in the exact same position 100 times they will likely be different.

But Paths themselves are usually not much of a size factor.

Or are you talking about Smart Objects?

If you want to pursue a Scripting solution you could ask for help over at

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_scripting

• 3. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)
              PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello, I amended the title to state that you work with a PC (from your explorer comment)

I guess that you would be looking for something along those lines, but for PC and Photoshop: http://www.code-line.com/software/sneakpeekpro/

I think that part of the issue might be that Ps and AI do not work the same way, and might not "show" the same information.

I'd like to have that sort of information in Bridge, with the limitations listed earlier, there might be a thread about it in http://feedback.photoshop.com

for the times being, a script seems indeed the fastest solution.

• 4. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)
                Astara_ Level 1

PECourtejoie posted: (sorry, I accidentaly erased your answer where you posted that if I wanted to complaint about the merge, that I could do so, and pointed out that if there are answers, they were mac or illustrator specific) I'm not against the merging of the forums, I thougth that you were searching for an answer that is specific to windows...

Message was edited by: PECourtejoie

• 5. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

My info panel doesn't list the layers,

Sorry, I was referring to the Info in the Finder on Mac.

infoMac.jpg

• 6. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

You could give this a try (though I suspect it might be possible to achieve it more elegantly and efficiently):

// 2011, use it at your own risk;
                    #target photoshop
                    if (app.documents.length > 0) {
                    var theCounts = [0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0];
                    var theLayers = countLayers(app.activeDocument, theCounts);
                    alert ("total layers: "+theLayers[24]+
                    "\ngoups: "+theLayers[0]+"\nblackandwhite: "+theLayers[1]+"\nbrightnesscontrast: "+theLayers[2]+
                    "\nchannelmixer: "+theLayers[3]+"\ncolorbalance: "+theLayers[4]+"\ncurves: "+theLayers[5]+
                    "\nexposure: "+theLayers[6]+"\ngradientfill: "+theLayers[7]+"\ngradientmap: "+theLayers[8]+
                    "\nhuesaturation: "+theLayers[9]+"\ninversion: "+theLayers[10]+"\nlayer3d: "+theLayers[11]+
                    "\nlevels: "+theLayers[12]+"\nnormal: "+theLayers[13]+"\npatternfill: "+theLayers[14]+
                    "\nphotofilter: "+theLayers[15]+"\nposterize: "+theLayers[16]+"\nselectivecolor: "+theLayers[17]+
                    "\nsmartobject: "+theLayers[18]+"\nsolidfill: "+theLayers[19]+"\ntext: "+theLayers[20]+
                    "\nthreshold: "+theLayers[21]+"\nvibrance: "+theLayers[22]+"\nvideo: "+theLayers[23]
                    );
                    };
                    ////// function collect all layers //////
                    function countLayers (theParent, allLayers) {
                              if (!allLayers) {var allLayers = new Array} 
                              else {};
                              for (var m = theParent.layers.length - 1; m >= 0;m--) {
                                        var theLayer = theParent.layers[m];
                    // apply the function to layersets;
                                        if (theLayer.typename == "ArtLayer") {
                                                  var theKind = theLayer.kind;
                                                  switch (theKind) {
                                                            case LayerKind.BLACKANDWHITE:
                                                            allLayers[1]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.BRIGHTNESSCONTRAST:
                                                            allLayers[2]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.CHANNELMIXER:
                                                            allLayers[3]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.COLORBALANCE:
                                                            allLayers[4]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.CURVES:
                                                            allLayers[5]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.EXPOSURE:
                                                            allLayers[6]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.GRADIENTFILL:
                                                            allLayers[7]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.GRADIENTMAP:
                                                            allLayers[8]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.HUESATURATION:
                                                            allLayers[9]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.INVERSION:
                                                            allLayers[10]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.LAYER3D:
                                                            allLayers[11]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.LEVELS:
                                                            allLayers[12]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.NORMAL:
                                                            allLayers[13]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.PATTERNFILL:
                                                            allLayers[14]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.PHOTOFILTER:
                                                            allLayers[15]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.POSTERIZE:
                                                            allLayers[16]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.SELECTIVECOLOR:
                                                            allLayers[17]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.SMARTOBJECT:
                                                            allLayers[18]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.SOLIDFILL:
                                                            allLayers[19]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.TEXT:
                                                            allLayers[20]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.THRESHOLD:
                                                            allLayers[21]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.VIBRANCE:
                                                            allLayers[22]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            case LayerKind.VIDEO:
                                                            allLayers[23]++; 
                                                            break;
                                                            };
                                                  allLayers[24]++;
                                                  }
                                        else {
                                                  allLayers = (countLayers(theLayer, allLayers))
                                                  allLayers[0]++;
                                                  allLayers[24]++;
                                                  }
                                        };
                              return allLayers
                              };

• 7. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)
                      PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Oops, astara, it looks like I squashed one of your posts with an answer of mine. I am deeply sorry for this, user error at its best! I meant to answer, but was editing your post!!

• 8. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)
                        Astara_ Level 1

*tsk tsk*...

Fortunately, the PC has a facility that autostores the last several responses... (I assume the MAC has similar!)...

As for me being on PC, it should be no different, Adobe is merging PC and MAC formums,

We are all one big happy family with all the same needs and problems.

Get used to it, or tell Adobe about it.

Announcement: Join the conversation in the new, cross-platform Photoshop forum

To draw upon the combined expertise of the entire Photoshop community, please post your questions in the new, cross-platform General Discussion forum.

This cross-platform forum will give popular how-to and workflow discussions the greatest possible participation. With more of these conversations addressed in one place, you'll also find the forum quicker and easier to search.

The separate Photoshop Macintosh and Windows forums will become Read Only on Tuesday, January 3rd.

---------------

So far, I've gotten MAC and Illustrator specific answers taht don't apply to the PC or Photoshop.

My info panel doesn't list the layers, but it does list ALL 454 saves I've ever done on the file since I first created it.

Also listed is a list of about 15 or so ancestor resources that I thought might have been things used in creating this..or that were used at one point (been througha  few versions... ancestor resources that were used ---

ssomehing like...

<photoshop:DocumentAncestors>
                                <rdf:Bag>
                                   <rdf:li>336FD418ABA6F1FDE98747CCACAC</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>4F21171962C8669910E28CCE64F0</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>6EBB90E5A3C4DB14390CDB6359D2</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>6FC70F19112C23ACF22F7A9E</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>80C92DF10DAF75FF6746289858F</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>9E9970EAEAFBA4D1B13B9C1891F</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>690C7BD74F60BF47A9FC8F1701E</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>9EDA08B1CD24679924FAB49F108</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>BE5763AD2981DDBAF7EE8B5604</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>DCFB8C4524E2DCA6D48EAA6A01</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>F5466FA94F81280CEB6F048C9135</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>uuid:1137A182DE11A3CABA9A5B38B58E</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>uuid:23272B730484DF1D1DE2CAEDF96</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>uuid:5831FA5F27FADD11B02FE03A817</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>xmp.did:2E0DBBDE11562E69A598</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>xmp.did:52A6CDF118080982E43E5F4EB</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>xmp.did:8CDC49BE011B39CB8F9F23C4892</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>xmp.did:A192F9547E4DDF11BCA1AE4E3A3</rdf:li>
                                   <rdf:li>xmp.did:E6134B056DDB6B3A7A556EF52</rdf:li>
                                </rdf:Bag>
                             </photoshop:DocumentAncestors>

I thought therer was another section that told the sourcs of each item but I think calling the

400 + items 'resources' might have been the confusing factor...

• 9. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)
                          Astara_ Level 1

5. Dec 19, 2011 5:47 AM (in response to Astara_)

Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)    

My info panel doesn't list the layers,

Sorry, I was referring to the Info in the Finder on Mac.

Nothing personal, **really**, but this idea of merging PC and MAC forums has me bothererd for exactly this type of of reason, but I wish there was a way to mark a post as 'unhelpful'...

My response to that is that if someone -- anyone sold you a program that created content, but provided no way to display information on the content, would you consider them

lazy, clueless, or what?

I.e. image MS having no way to list directories or file sizes?  Or WORD having no way to look at it's files and see properties and even an image of the document?

Can you imagine having to pay 'extra' to find some third party app to display your files and their sizes/attributes on MacOS?   It's just not done. 

This seems like a[nother] gaping hole in the Adobe product line (specificlly PS(CS5)....   How you can not let the user account for space, seems inane, since

it as I mentioned before, my current file would be close to 8GB, if I hadn't gone through and figured out, manually, what was taking the space.  It's now down

under 900M....  I'd love to see what layers are taking alot of space and which could be addressed first for he most/best effect. 

how many people can easily edit and save 450 copies of an 8GB file (or have the memory and patience to work with such a beast?

• 10. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)
                            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I may not follow, but are you saying you want Photoshop to provide a list of what storage space each Layer takes up?

I would not consider the failure to provide that information »lazy« or »clueless« as I suspect very few users actually need that.

But you could post a Feature Request over at

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_family_photoshop

it as I mentioned before, my current file would be close to 8GB

When had you mentioned that?

• 11. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)
                              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

As for a layered file’s size you might get something out of turning Preferences > File Handling > Maximise PSD and PSB File Comatibility off in case it is currently set to Always.

• 12. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)
                                Astara_ Level 1

Well that script certainly looked interesting... ...

how long should it take to run?  

Seems like just to get a count of layers, it shouldn't take more than a minute at most... seems like it's been ...

Ah...

just finished... only 7 minutes of cpu time...

I looked at the stack at one point...:

ntoskrnl.exe!memset+0x64a

ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xd52

ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x19f

ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0xba4

ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0x1821

ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0x1a97

Photoshop.exe+0xbcfdc0

Photoshop.exe+0xbd028f

Photoshop.exe+0xbd086b

Photoshop.exe+0xbd0ee7

Photoshop.exe+0xd4696b

Photoshop.exe+0x8094be

Photoshop.exe+0x80cde0

Photoshop.exe+0x10364bc

Photoshop.exe+0x39b076

Photoshop.exe+0x3c85d6

ScriptingSupport.8li!PluginMain+0x9b169

ScriptingSupport.8li!PluginMain+0x98dc4

ScriptingSupport.8li!PluginMain+0x98f4c

ScriptingSupport.8li!PluginMain+0x36f34

ScriptingSupport.8li!PluginMain+0x36f9e

ScriptingSupport.8li!PluginMain+0xb8d47

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Preprocessor::~Preprocessor+0x1ae9

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Script::isValidLine+0xd6fd

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Script::isValidLine+0x74d0

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Script::isValidLine+0x7daa

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Script::isValidLine+0xaf01

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Script::isValidLine+0x4e31

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Script::isValidLine+0x5d8f

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::ListNode::toString+0xa94d

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::ParserAPI::parse+0xaf5d

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Script::isValidLine+0x3d0d

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Script::isValidLine+0x6b81

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Script::isValidLine+0x7cf9

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Script::isValidLine+0x6b66

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::ParserAPI::parse+0xaec1

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Preprocessor::~Preprocessor+0x4a89

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Preprocessor::~Preprocessor+0x5a90

ExtendScript.dll!ScScript::Preprocessor::~Preprocessor+0x5825

ScriptingSupport.8li!PluginMain+0xb3953

ScriptingSupport.8li+0x5057

ScriptingSupport.8li+0x53ae

ScriptingSupport.8li+0x56bc

ScriptingSupport.8li!PluginMain+0xae

Photoshop.exe+0xa14eac

Photoshop.exe+0x3c7e17

Photoshop.exe+0x3c7f67

Photoshop.exe+0x1032e4f

Photoshop.exe+0x103223b

Photoshop.exe+0x102f70b

Photoshop.exe+0x10a3b47

Photoshop.exe+0x10a72d7

Photoshop.exe+0x10cba98

Photoshop.exe+0x10fd780

Photoshop.exe+0x16d2a6

Photoshop.exe+0x10cdfc0

Photoshop.exe!std::_Init_locks::operator=+0x81f

kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd

ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x1d

The deepest level, is at the 'top'...

But after 7 minutes, it came back with (copied down the non-zero numbers):

total layers=471

groups=121

brighness/contrastcnt:2

gradientfill 98

normal:196

levels=1

solidfill=49

vibrance=2

Thought it was gonna eat my machine for a bit...but likely

As for the PSB/PSP compat... is that applicable to files saved in tiff?

If I save in PSP, I can't get previews in explorer, but w/tiff I can...

as for the 8GB... sorry, was on another thread....

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4090207#4090207

I'd calced out the reductions from the converted solid and gradient fill layers there to be at least 3-4G, but that was after I'd already reduced the pic to

work in 8-bit /plain color... rather than 16.   So file size would have been up around 16G, likely with that change.  the 8GB was a proportional 50% mark...sorta.

Wasn't until I started exploring the color space until I realized that while the human eye can perceive about 11-12 bits of color level w/o adaptation (assuming healthy eyes), that and I could see problems in HDR type photos, that I realized how limiting 8bpp really was...

Of course getting monitors to be created that display more than 8bpp, would be a major first step in helping matters...;-)

As for not providing size and meta info on this up to 4-16GB "disk" that is called a file, that is a collection of 'small objects' that could be thought of as files in a larger directory...

How would you feel if you stored 450 files in a dir, and the best your OS could tell you was the dir toolk 8GB?...

Wouldn't you like to know what is taking up all the space?

• 13. Re: How to list contents of a document (or, minimally, find out # of layers)...(PC)
                                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

just finished... only 7 minutes of cpu time...

I took the easy route with that Script by using the DOM – but that can (and probably does tremendously in this case) cost time, so a more experienced Scripter might be able to get the information much faster or even quite differently (by actually reading the file possibly).

If it is of use to you but just takes too long you may want to follow up on that at the previously mentioned forum or over at

http://ps-scripts.com/

As for the PSB/PSP compat... is that applicable to files saved in tiff?

Not as far as I can tell.

work in 8-bit /plain color... rather than 16.   So file size would have been up around 16G, likely with that change.  the 8GB was a proportional 50% mark...sorta.

I guess your estimate would be somewhat off as it seems the compression in psd-files usually catches some of that »expected« increase.

As for not providing size and meta info on this up to 4-16GB "disk" that is called a file, that is a collection of 'small objects' that could be thought of as files in a larger directory...

How would you feel if you stored 450 files in a dir, and the best your OS could tell you was the dir toolk 8GB?...

I guess that might not be an altogether invalid way of looking at it, but neither the one Photoshop is intended to present nor one most users (designers, photographers etc.) seem to expect – one file is one file and if it’s big, well, then it’s one big file …

Hopefully one of the Adobe employees will drop by, as they might offer some real insight one the psd, psb-, tiff-file formats.