15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 9:54 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I save in the original format

PS-Newbie1234

I recorded a cover band and my camcorder split the video into several 2GB .MTS clips.  The bigger point is that there is LOTS of dead time, breaks, etc.  I'd like to know how to 1) edit an original 2GB MTS file, remove the dead spots and replace the original MTS file with the optimized result in MTS format. 2) I'd like to combine all of the optimized MTS files into one large MTS file.  That file would stay on my hard drive for years and all project files (today and in the future) would reference this single, optimized file.  I would delete the original files from my camcorder and laptop.

FYI: I simply copied the files via USB from my camcorder to my laptop.  I'm not married to the MTS file format, that's just the format I got when I coped the files.

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: How do I save in the original format
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

1) Cutting and removing sections of a video is called video editing. It's what the program is designed to do.

2) There are dozens of types of .mts files, depending on how you plan to use them. But, if you're planning to keep the file on your computer and maybe use parts of it later in a video project or to create a DVD or BluRay or post it to the web, the .mts may not be the best way to do it.

What do you ultimately plan to do with this final, edited video?

• 2. Re: How do I save in the original format
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When I am creating intermediate files, that will either be re-edited later, or will be Imported into another program for work, I like to use one of the lossless CODEC's, such as Lagarith Lossless, or UT Lossless, but these are for the PC. Which platform are you on?

Those two CODEC's are wrapped as AVI, and edit smoothly in PrE/PrPro. They are Exported/Shared via MS AVI, with the particular CODEC chosen. The files are very slightly compressed, so they ARE large, but they are, best of all, lossless.

See this ARTICLE for more info. Also, both of those CODEC's are free.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I save in the original format
              PS-Newbie1234 Level 1

I guess I need to ask a better question.  What I'm going to do with the file doesn't seem relevant at this point.  The basic video files might have 5 unnecessary minutes at the beginning, middle and end.  I want to simply delete the unnecessary minutes and save the file in the same format (the same format would seem to be the most efficient).  If I could have, I would have simply turned the camcorder off.  I want to avoid saving 15 totally unnecessary minutes of HD video forever.

The only way I could see to save a file was with the "share tab."  I selected the "M2T-H264 1920x1080i 30" preset (because that seemed closest to my original video file) and it took 2 hours to generate the file on my 8GB laptop with Intel I7.

Maybe this is the best question: what is the fastest/best way to delete the first 5 minutes of a 1 hour video so that future project files work on the smallest file possible?

Thanks for the quick response!

• 4. Re: How do I save in the original format
                PS-Newbie1234 Level 1

Thanks Bill.  I'll look into it.  FYI: I have a new Windows 7 laptop with 8GB and an Intel I7.

Since my file is MTS, and I'm not adding any content with this initial edit, I assumed it would be 100% lossless (or at least best) to keep the same format as the original file. Thanks again.

• 5. Re: How do I save in the original format
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The one problem with H.264 material, even though you are just cutting out sections, is that PrE (and PrPro) will Encode the Export again.

For doing "smart rendering," where material, that has ONLY had the Duration changed, is NOT re-Encoded. Even if their GUI is not particularly to your likeing, for this one operation, they might be better. Then, you can use PrE to do the full editing from those Trimmed files.

Personally, I like the Lagarith and UT, and they produce great intermediate files, with no additional compression, that going to H.264 will result in.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I save in the original format
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Bill.

Unlike when, say, you edit a photo or a Word document, when you edit video you don't edit the original file. You place your file into a project, edit it and then output it as another file.

This is why the smartest decision about your output would be based on what you ultimately plan to do with your video.

You can't have a modified version of your original file back. So it only makes sense to output a file you can actually do somethign with.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: How do I save in the original format
                      PS-Newbie1234 Level 1

Thanks Guys.  This is what I did:

1) Downloaded the  lossless CODEC's Lagarith Lossless. Windows 7 warned me but Norton said it was safe.

2) Using Premier Elements 10, I selected the Share tab -> computer -> AVI -> Microsoft AVI (I assume this option wasn't available before I downloaded the Lagarith Lossless CODEC, but I'm not sure).

3) I clicked save

The AVI file was virtually the same size as the M2T video I created earlier (14.7 vs 14.4 GB) but it completed in about 40 minutes instead of 2 hours.  FYI: The duration of the video is 1 hr 5 min. 

I'll re-think my process going forward.  I think I'm done for now, unless you guys can tell from my description that I didn;t actually use the Lagarith Lossless CODEC I downloaded.

Thanks again!!

• 8. Re: How do I save in the original format
                        nealeh Level 5

PS-Newbie1234 wrote:

Norton said it was safe.

If you encounter problems as you move forward with your project one of the first things to do would be to disable Norton for the times you are working in the project. Disabling Norton (and McAfee) has solved an unbelievable number of problems users have reported here. I speculate that the high number of files created by PRE during rendering and analyzing activities overwhelms them so that they cannot keep up - thereby triggering errors.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: How do I save in the original format
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you chose the Lagarith Lossless CODEC from the Compression drop-down, then you have used it.

The only caveat (and this is for any CODEC), is that if you share that file with others, they will also need the Lagarith CODEC installed, to play the file. If you are only using them as intermediate files, you will have the CODEC already, so no issues.

To check your output file, you can run it through the great, free G-Spot, and see that it did use the Lagarith CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How do I save in the original format
                            PS-Newbie1234 Level 1

g-Spot says I have the codec installed but I did not use it.  You mentioned MS AVI.  The only thing I saw resembling MS AVI  was under:

Share -> Computer -> AVI -> Microsoft AVI (under the "presets" drop-down list).

I did not see a Compression Drop-Down list, only a Presets dropdown list.  I did not see anything resembling "Lagarith Lossless CODEC" inside the Premier Elements 10 share tab.

• 11. Re: How do I save in the original format
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

In the Video tab, do you not see a Compression drop-down? That is where you would choose the CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: How do I save in the original format
                                PS-Newbie1234 Level 1

I don't see a Video tab.  The only way know to create files/movies is using the Share Tab and selecting a preset.  I used:  Share -> Computer -> AVI -> Microsoft AVI (under the "presets" drop-down list).  Here's the workspace:

Premier Elements Screenscrape.jpg

• 13. Re: How do I save in the original format
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When you go to "Computer," you should then see the formats available, and choose MS AVI. That should bring up the Video, Audio and Multiplexing tabs. Under Video, you should have a Compression (depending on version, you might have to go to Advanced) drop-down, where you would choose Lagarith, or UT.

This is a look at the screen from PrE 4.0, which will be a bit different from your version, but will give you a general idea of the Advanced settings for the Share:

Lagarith_CODEC.png

Hope that this helps, and does not confuse you (that potential is why I hesitated to post this - being from a previous version), and helps you locate the Compression/CODEC drop-down.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: How do I save in the original format
                                    PS-Newbie1234 Level 1

Wow...  most of the detail in the "Share Frame" was hidden and there was no scroll bar to get to it.  I had to shrink the timeline view frame to almost nothing to increase the Share frame so I could see all the options available to me.  Thanks SO MUCH for all the excellent information and your time.  Every post was helpful and correct. 

• 15. Re: How do I save in the original format
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome. I am surprised that there were not scroll bars. Now, I do admit that they do not stand out, and even though I know they are there on my GUI, I have to look closely to find them.

Glad that you found all the settings. Hope that one of the Lossless CODEC's works for you. Just remember if you send one of the files to another user, they will need to download and install the appropriate CODEC, but being free, that should not be an issue.

Good luck,

Hunt