6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 9:57 AM by Jim_Simon

Best Workflow for simple .mts to m2t conversion

Schmidt_127_New

Hello,

I am the Athletic Director at a High School and am in charge of FTP uploading our game film (.mts) 1920 x 1080i to our Local TV companies local access channel.  Our local TV channel has to have a m2t file for use with its IPTV distribution.

Currently I bring in the files straight from the SD card (and i do not bring in the entire file structure) and put onto the Premiere timeline.  Then I add a small title in a corner that includes game information, maybe color correct and that is normally about all before I export to the mpeg .ts format. 

I use the following settings:

MainConcept CodecMPEG VIDEO

Quality 5

Frame Rate 29.97 (Matches source)

Upper

Pixel Aspect Ration= Widescreen 16:9

Profile= Main

Level = High

I do not check the box for Render at Maximum Depth?

Bitrate Settings = VBR 2 Pass

Min Bit Rate =4

Target Bit Rate = 15

Max Bit Rate =18.5

Rest of settings Default

I do not check Max Render Quality or Frame Blending

As I have read online I have seen that people say the quality will be a lot better if you bring in the entire folder structure?

I have also been confused about allof the options for settings, bit rate, Maximum render, etc.....

The size of the file is not really a large concern as the TV company willingly stores all of our m2t files for playback.

Any information regarding how I can create m2t files that are closer to the quality that comes from the original files on the card will be appreciated.  The disparity between what is contained in the files when played back from the camera to a HDTV is large compared to when the m2t files is watched on TV. 

I am not having an issue with jerky playback or anything it is simply not as clear/sharp as the original.

Thanks

Mike

• 1. Re: Best Workflow for simple .mts to m2t conversion
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The quality won't change at all using the entire folder structure.  That really only effects the "features" within PP, meaning how it handles the files, timecode & metadata.

What will affect the quality is the export bitrate.  You'll need to up that for better quality.

• 2. Re: Best Workflow for simple .mts to m2t conversion
            Schmidt_127_New Level 1

Jim Simon,

So how do i go about finding a better bit rate that works for high quality and playability on the TV Channels servers.  Do I simply test a few smaller files or do I need to find out what exactly the camera's bit rate is and copy that?  Should the bit rate i select match what the camera did?

I am just not sure what I need to tweak to increase quality.

Lastly.....Is it even possible to have the exact same quality in a converted .TS file that was created by the camera or am I way out of line thinking that I can maintain the same quality from a Panasoncic AG 40 HD Camera, through adobe premiere, and out to a .TS file?

Thanks Again

Mike

• 3. Re: Best Workflow for simple .mts to m2t conversion
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I am just not sure what I need to tweak to increase quality.

The bitrate.  Whatever it was, make it more.

• 4. Re: Best Workflow for simple .mts to m2t conversion
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Lastly.....Is it even possible to have the exact same quality in a converted .TS file that was created by the camera

No.  The second layer of compression will add artifacts and errors.  No way around that.  (That's why it's best to start with the highest quality image to begin with, and why AVCHD is not the best choice for critical work.)

• 5. Re: Best Workflow for simple .mts to m2t conversion
                  Schmidt_127_New Level 1

Jim,

Thanks, I understand cranking up the bit rate, i was just wondering if there was a generic way to find the best bit rate setting without trial and error....If there was a starting point.  I am at 15 now and went to 16 without noticeable difference?

Lastly, If we were to purchase another camera, what would be your suggestion, to make a better final quality product, interms of an alternative to AVCHD....I am just learning this but the Panasonic, with the SD card and AVCHD has been easy to work with in Adobe Premiere Pro. 

I guess i am asking what format would be better suited to conversion to m2t

Thanks,

Mike

• 6. Re: Best Workflow for simple .mts to m2t conversion
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

find the best bit rate setting without trial and error

The best will always be the highest.  Most often, however, you are limited in how high you can go by the demands of the project.  Blu-ray, for example, has an upper limit of 40 Mb/s.  So, that will be the best you can do for that type of project.

As for a better camera?  Two models that come to mind right away are the Panasonic HPX250, which uses Master Quality AVC-I, and the RED Scarlet.  Make no mistake, however, both are very expensive.  They'll cost you 8 to 12 grand fully outfitted.  You need to make sure the projects you're doing will genuinely benefit.  Going to broadcast, that may well be the case.