1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 19, 2011 4:14 AM by Eugene Tyson

Using Indesign's effects on photos vs doing it in Photoshop

brakai295

Heya,

hope someone can help me with this. I'm still an Indesign noob.

I'm working on a magazine that will be printed through an Offset printer. There are several images that will look like this: http://drop.brizk.com/wWyt

What I'm doing here is apply a blending mode to an image that has a coloured layer in the background.

My question is whether it is better to do this entirely in Photoshop, save the file and place it into Indesign OR whether I should just place the normal photo and use Indesigns effect/blending mode feature to apply this effect to it. On screen it looks very similar, my (cheap) laser printer that I use for basic proofing shows slightly different results with each method.

I'm reusing the colour as fill-colour for several other elements in the Indesign file, so I'm unsure whether I should keep everything internal (in Indesign) or whether I should outsource the effects to Photoshop and just do basic stuff in Indesign.

Are there any pros/cons with either method? One apparent one is that Indesign runs faster/smoother if it doesn't have to apply the effects itself.

Cheers

Kai

• 1. Re: Using Indesign's effects on photos vs doing it in Photoshop
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is this going to be a two colour job? Or is it full colour? Do you need spots? Is it CMYK + spot colour?

InDesign can certainly handle it, so if it cuts a step out of the process then that's great. You can fill the box with a colour - then you can get teh Graphic to a blending mode - you do this by selecting the graphic with the White Arrow tool.

Depends on what the goal is, phothshop has a lot more control over it. Might be faster to setup an Action in photoshop and then place all the images. Or it might be faster settting up an Object Style in InDesign.