8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 7:54 AM by the_wine_snob

Break between pausing

wallstreet123456@yahoo.co Level 1

I just imported my first Mini DV movie into the sceneline and I thought it would show a clip on the scene line after each pause making it easy for me to insert transitions but the entire movie went into on box on the scene line. Is there a setting that I need to adjust for it to not show up as only one?

Sorry if this is not very clear, I am not sure of all the terminology yet.

• 1. Re: Break between pausing
          nealeh Level 5

In SceneLine an entire clip is initially included in each scene box. You can split clips with the split tool at which point each segment will show in a separate box. Alternatively you can include the same clip in multiple boxes and set different In/Out point for each box (note that inserting the same clip does not take up any extra disk space as only the one original clip is referenced by PRE.

If all you are doing is assembling clip sequences with simple transitions that will be sufficient. But if you want to do anything 'interesting' you should dabble with the timeline view. Once you are familiar with timeline it is unlikely you'll do much work in SceneLine.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Break between pausing

It did not put a clip in each scene box but rather but the entire movie in one box.

• 3. Re: Break between pausing
              nealeh Level 5

Yes - each separate clip you import is shown in one scene box. Importing five separate clips (e.g. you pause the camcorder after each captured clip) will show in one box each - i.e. five separate imports would show in five scene boxes. Import the entire tape in one long import then it shows in one scene box.

You can set PRE to split during import using either the camera timecode or by scene detection. Take a look at this for more detail (check the 'Capture footage using device control' section).

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS5CDA0F91-60F1-4b79-ABF6-E9E75F498DB2. html#WS2AF26FB5-4C63-4c46-9DB3-7249558F6528

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

• 4. Re: Break between pausing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

You might find this entire operation easier, if you switch to Timeline View Mode. There, the Clips will be arranged in one Video Track, and it easiest to see exactly what you have, and then adjust, as is needed. Sceneline View Mode is fine for the initial assembly of Clips, but after that, or when you need more detail, Timeline View Mode is by far the better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Break between pausing

Thank you all for this iinformation, it was ver helpful.

I have one more question. is there a way once the media has been brought into Premiere elements to see when it was recordered (date) It does not show when I play the tape in the camera so I was hoping I could figure it out in Elements somehow.

• 6. Re: Break between pausing
                    nealeh Level 5

Sorry but no. There is no video equivalent for the vast amount of informative data in digital stills (the EXIF data). It is possible that the software that came with your camera may record and retain the file data on the clip (usually they copy it to another field in a custom database - there is no equivalent in PRE).

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Break between pausing
                      Nash_John Level 3

As far as your inserting transitions problem is concerned, you can do that very easily in timeline, by using the split tool.

In the sceneline mode, each scene represents a single clip.

For your recorded date problem, the closest thing i can remember in PrE, is during import GetMedia->Get Photos, launces Adobe Photo Downloader, using it you can import files in subfolders according to the date shot

• 8. Re: Break between pausing
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

@Wallstreet,

While we are on the subject of Transitions and splitting Clips, there are some things to consider:

• If one just just split a Clip, and then inserts a Cross-Dissolve between the now split Clips, nothing will show, until one alters those split Clips, by adjusting their In/Out Points.
                        • When adding most Transitions, one needs to consider Handles on those Clips, and this ARTICLE will go into much more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt