6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 3:36 PM by the_wine_snob

Archive question

nookie1050

Hi similar to my pevious question but...I have archived my project/movie (time line trimmed option) and can open it up again in PRE10 to burn more Blu Ray or DVD discs (I presume) can I now delete all the original project files photo's, music etc on my C drive safe in the knowledge it wont look for them when I load them back to burn more discs, I ask because when I 'reload' I get the render bars appear, will it render and be looking for the original files (that I want to delete) or use the ones saved to my external HDD as archived? hope that makes sense, cheers. 

• 1. Re: Archive question
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you use the Project Archiver to move your media and project files to your new drive, yes, you can delete the originals on your C drive.

• 2. Re: Archive question
            the_wine_snob Level 9

With any archiving operation, I strongly recommend doing a quick test of the Archived Project, just to be sure.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Archive question
              nookie1050 Level 1

Thanks for your replies, will render and burn my archived project and see what happens before deleting original files, thanks again.

• 4. Re: Archive question
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the testing is quick and easy, and has saved me some issues. As I use PrPro most often, I found that its Project Manager (essentially the same as the PrE Archiver) would NOT gather Assets, that were not in the Project's folder hierarchy, i.e. scattered about the system. Once I had a habit of producing all of my music into a Movie Music Folder on my D:\, and then just linking the WAV file to my PrPro Project. That worked well, until I went to archive the first one - I did not have my music files in the archived Project. I changed my workflow, so that ALL Assets, or Copies of them, WERE in an appropriate sub-folder, within the Project's folder hierarchy - then they were archived too. Glad that I tested.

I am not sure if PrE's Archiver does a better job of Copying all Assets, regardless of their location on the system, but that might be something to keep an eye open for.

Good luck, and happy editing (and Archiving)

Hunt

• 5. Re: Archive question
                  nealeh Level 5

Check thoroughly - there was a bug in PRE9 where SmartSound tracks were ignored by the archiver. If I recall correctly the bug was only if the file was in the primary folder. If you created a sub-folder and put the SmartSound file(s) in it they did get archived properly. I haven't had to do one for a PRE10 project so do post back if you find the problem still exists.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Archive question
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure about the Bug, but it was actually SmartSound (with PrPro's Project Manager), that caught my attention. When they were linked from another drive and folder, they were not included in the archived Project. As soon as I changed my workflow, and included the SmartSound files in a "Music" sub-folder, in the Project's folder hierarchy, all was right. Did not recall the issue with PrE 9 - thanks.

Hunt