14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 7:10 AM by the_wine_snob

Mixing Audio

TShutter Level 1

I need to shoot a video that has multiple audio tracks (music, sound effects, etc.) Can this be done in Premier Pro, or do I have to create this in Encore?  What is the best way for me to add/mix multiple audio tracks that will be played simultaneously when the video is played?

I appreciate any advice on how to accomplish this.

• 1. Re: Mixing Audio
          vovando Level 1

You mean this?

audios.png

Just add more audio tracks and drag your audio clips to the timeline.

• 3. Re: Mixing Audio
            TShutter Level 1

Well, I thought that was the way it was done, however rather than play "both" audios what was happening in my case was the audio on track one would shut off when the play head ran over the audio on track 2.  The audio on track 2 would turn off when the play head passed over the audio file on track 3.  I basically need three audio tracks that will play together....program audio, music, sound effects.  You know the scenario, I'm sure.  I will give it another try....   Thanks and Merry Christmas!

• 4. Re: Mixing Audio
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Sounds like you may have one or more tracks soloed...

• 5. Re: Mixing Audio
                TShutter Level 1

Hmm, that is interesting and makes a lot of sense.  How do I check this?

• 6. Re: Mixing Audio
                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

The solo button is only accessible from the Audio Mixer panel, and not from the track bed... it's the little trumpet icon at the top of each track. I've never messed with the soloing options in PrPro, but normally in a regular audio editor, multiple soloed tracks will ALL play together... however, I suppose it's entirely possible that in PrPro, whatever is the TOP soloed track is all you'll hear (just as the TOP video track is all you'll see). It certainly shouldn't be that way, but I can see how they might have messed that up... Post us some screenshots of your Audio Mixer and your audio track bed and maybe we can help you troubleshoot it a little more...

Audio-Mixer-with-solo-button.png

• 7. Re: Mixing Audio
                    TShutter Level 1

You were RIGHT!!  This was the problem!  Whew, what a relief!  Thank you and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

• 8. Re: Mixing Audio
                      davidbeisner2010 Level 3

So you had multiple tracks soloed? I'll have to play around with that and see if there's a bug with the way soloing works in PrPro...

• 9. Re: Mixing Audio
                        TShutter Level 1

Yessir, that's what it was.  Prior to posting my question, I poured over the many Premier Pro tutorials I have and this was not mentioned!!  I mean, this is a show stopper and should have been covered somewhere!  I didn't think it should have been so complicated as to mix the audio in Soundbooth or Encore.  The only audio reference I remember seeing is to make audio 1 mono and not stereo.  Bottom line is the problem is resolved and I can move forward on my video projects.  Thanks again!

• 10. Re: Mixing Audio
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

That is the way that the Audio Mixer works. Basically, when you Solo one Track, you are effectively Muting all others, but then can add other Tracks with Solo. It is the same as leaving a few Tracks un-Muted, but Muting the others. Audition works the same way, in that you can Solo selected Tracks, or just one, if desired.

To the OP, if you are new to the Audio Mixer Panel, it's worth the time to read up on it, as it is a very, very powerful tool, however the Sends can be a tad confusing at first, and also, an important thing to consider is that Audio Mixer adds Track Keyframes, and NOT Clip Keyframes. They are somewhat similar, but with important differences. Track Keyframes do not care about which Clips are on the Track, are added or deleted. They remain. The Help File covers Audio Mixer in great detail, and a bit of reading will counter confusion later on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Mixing Audio
                            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Glad to help... by the way, I think you mean Audition, not Encore. Audition is the audio program and Encore is your DVD authoring program.

Soloing is something that's really only done in deeper audio mixing, and really probably doesn't even need to be included in PrPro, because a) most people don't know how to use it right unless they've got a strong background in audio, and b) those that do know how to properly use a solo function, and want that higher level of audio mixing quality, are going to use a dedicated audio tracking program (DAW) for their audio production anyway, and not try to do it in the limited audio functionality of PrPro. However, they've got it here, and if you really did have MULTIPLE tracks soloed, you should have heard ALL of the tracks that you had soloed, no matter their arrangement in the track bed. That's what solo does. It cuts out everything except for the soloed track(S)... if you had multiple soloed, and only heard one of the soloed at a time, then the solo function in PrPro is messed up. I'll have to play with that next time I'm on a multi-track project and see if it truly is messed up.

• 12. Re: Mixing Audio
                              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Thanks, Hunt... I know how solo works... I got my start in audio production . From what he described though, it sounded like he had multiple clips soloed. It may be that he had just the one (track 3) clip soloed though, upon re-reading it. If that's the case, then it performed correctly, as you say. If, however, he did have multiple clips soloed as I first thought upon reading it, then it's not working right, as ALL soloed clips should have played together.

• 13. Re: Mixing Audio
                                TShutter Level 1

Thank you, sounds like good advice.  I will certainly follow up on this before proceeding much further.

• 14. Re: Mixing Audio
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

Got you. Thanks for the clarification.

Hunt