5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 1:08 PM by Gustavo Del Vechio

Animation on drawing a line alive

Gustavo Del Vechio Level 3

Hi friends

I´m an After Effects very beginner. I´d like to make an animation. Will try to explain it:

I have drawed some closed shapes (closed paths) in Illustrator. I saved as *.AI and then have imported to After Effects.

I´d like to make an animations where these paths (the stroke) looks to appear progressivelly (imagine a pen moving along the screen and must look the pen is drawing these lines).

Do not know if I was able to explain correct.  Is there any effect where I can choose an initial anhor point and a final anchor point then After make an animation of this line be drawed alive in a space of time?

Thank you a lot

Gustavo.

• 1. Re: Animation on drawing a line alive
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That's not how it works. You need to copy&paste the paths via the clipboard either onto a matching solid in AE as masks or a shape layer. Once applied to the solid, you can use effects like Stroke to draw your lines by animating start and end percentages. If you use shape layers, you need the trim paths modifier and also animate its values. I'm sure there#s also a tutorial somewhere for this...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Animation on drawing a line alive

Hi Mylenium

I made an Ai file with some shapes as example: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39734475/test%20shapes.ai

Would it be possible to give me some basic steps on how to proceed?

I´d thank you a lot

Best Regards

Gustavo.

• 3. Re: Animation on drawing a line alive
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

First, set your AI clipborad prefs to AICB, so the paths come over to Ae. Then select one of them, copy to clipboard. Switch to AE.

Option a:

If you have no comp already, do a Composition --> New (Ctrl+N) followed by a Layer --> New --> Solid (Ctrl+Y). Paste the path onto the solid. It will become a mask. Untwirl the mask properties (or hit M twice in short succession), set the mask mode to none. Then do an Effects --> Generate --> Stroke. In the pop-up control of the effect, select your mask. Click on the little stopwatches to enable animation for the start and end properties, create a few keyframes. Repeat for any other path.

Option b:

Do a Layer --> New --> Shape Layer. Paste the path. Untwirl the properties. It will have a default fill or stroke. Delete the fill. With the shape layer active, there will be an "Add" button in teh top toolbar as well as a similar tiny button in the timeline. From either menu, choose the Trim Paths modifier. Animate its Start and End percentages similar to the Stroke. Repeat for the other paths.

You may wanna look at the online help a bit and check this post for some getting started resources. Several additional tutorials are also linked from the help. This one for instance might also help regarding generic stroke animation and creating elaborate looks using strokes and effects.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Animation on drawing a line alive

Thank you a lot Mylenium

I´ll try your steps.

Best Regards

Gustavo.

• 5. Re: Animation on drawing a line alive

Hi Mylenium

i tried your steps but I think I´m making anything wrong. Look what I´m doing:

1) I copied the shape from Illustrator.

2) Started After Effects.

3) Composition > New composition

4) Menu Layer > New > Shape Layer

5) I pasted the vector and it came as a mask

Now even I go to Tools panel at upper side and set stroke or fill to the shape layer..nothing appears in the screen.

I see the mask as an yellow stroke in the screen but I´m not able to assign a stroke to it.

What I´m missing?

Thank you a lot

Gustavo.