6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2012 1:18 PM by PK_Developer

Adobe Reader - Problems with DDE error message

Thomas.Hansen1983

Hello,

I can see several users on the internet reporting about DDE errors connected with Adobe Reader.

We have a terminal server environment with Windows 2003 and Citrix Presentation Server 4.

Users in our terminalserver environment are getting the error message when opening PDF documents:

Unable to contact DDE server.

Does anyone have a permanent fix to this?

Can Adobe Techincal Support make a comment to why this error appears - and what settings on the server that needs to be checked?

Best regards,

Thomas Hansen

IT Consultant

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader - Problems with DDE error message
          Thomas.Hansen1983 Level 1

Any news about this issue? Can an Adobe employee make a comment on how to get rid of the DDE error in Adobe Reader once and for all?

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader - Problems with DDE error message
            Thomas.Hansen1983 Level 1

Does anyone have anything to contribute with regarding this error?

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader - Problems with DDE error message
              ARM2705 Adobe Employee

Hi,
              Which version of Reader are you using ? And what DDE Server naming are you using ? i.e. acroviewR10 or acroview ?

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader - Problems with DDE error message
                PK_Developer Level 1

I have a question:

Do the support verbs for shelling out to AcroRd32.exe (namely Open, Print, Printto, and Read) use DDE to accomplish their tasks?

Does this DDE Server Name change affect the shell out ability.

Reason I ask is that in Acrobat Reader 9 I could shell out and use the Printto verb, but in Adobe Reader 10, I cannot.  Or at least it wasn't working for me in 10.1.x

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader - Problems with DDE error message
                  PK_Developer Level 1

In Folder Options for the PDF file association.  My "Open" verb Advanced tab has a screen with a "Use DDE" checkbox that is checked.  It is checked by default.  The registry entry for the executable used is as expected for both Reader versions 9 and 10.

. . . but I did notice something.  The DDE Server Application name is "AcroRd32" and the topic is "system" (this goes for both Reader versions 9 and 10). Not entirely sure of the significance yet, but I am wondering if this DDE Server Application name has also changed for these conversations to something like "AcroRd32R10". 

Also need to remind anyone else reading this thread, that in the Development Guide, and on this forum, we are told to use "acroviewR10" for the application and "control" as the topic for DDE.   I realize that it is likely that since shelling out and programmming a DDE conversation to control Acrobat are two entirely different things, there would obviously be more than one DDE Application available, but still want to ask the question of why in version 9, when I shell out to run "printto" works just fine, but when I shell out to run "printto" in version 10, it does not send the information to the selected printer at all? 

I monitor the printer queue, and it never shows up.  There is no change in my code between the two versions.  One works and the other doesn't.  No change in client configuration either, other than Acrobat Reader versions.

Is this due to DDE Server Application names changing?

Also if this i an inappropriate place for this quesrion, please let me know and I will start another thread in the corect place.  It just looked relevant in the thread to me.

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader - Problems with DDE error message
                    PK_Developer Level 1

Answer to the question is yes the changing of the DDE Server Application Name most certainly affects starting Reader 10 with ShellExecuteEx.