6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 9:46 AM by bogiesan

Will more memory speed me up?

Canonboy2010 Level 1

So I know the answer is yes... but want to be 100% sure i'll get a good boost before i buy more. Right now i have the following:

Mac OS Snow Leopard

After Effects 5.5

iMac 2.66 quadcore i5 processor

8gb of memory

200gb of 1tb of HD space left

Since i started using after effects more heavy it's just been slowing my computer down like crazy. I purge the image cache on occasion and that helps a little.

I want to upgrade from 8gb of memory to 16gb. Will that help out a lot?

• 1. Re: Will more memory speed me up?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Yes, it will help.  You'll want to look at the recommended processor & memory allocations found here.

Will it help A LOT?  That's subjective.  AE never has been, and probably never will be, an application that can work in real time.  If you expect something like that, prepare to have your hopes dashed.

• 2. Re: Will more memory speed me up?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

"A lot" depends too much on what specifically you do. Memory isn't everything. Complex effects or deeply nested comp hierarchies, temporal effects nad a million otehr things can make things slow even if your machine is full of RAM. You should see some improvement by doubling the current amount and you may even see some more by tripling it, but after that you may reach a point where even memory centric projects do not show any further gains in performance...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Will more memory speed me up?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Memory is so cheap right now. We just put in 16 GB ram for just over $80 including shipping. Max it out, enjoy. What you don't gain in AE you'll gain with other apps open. Just don't expect miracles.

• 4. Re: Will more memory speed me up?
                glaustin Level 1

Hi

I had the opportunity to upgrade from12GB to 24Gb of RAM a short while ago. Yes I could immediately see some definate improvements but it hasn't change my life. The bottom line is the quality of RAM (the reason why I upgraded was the 4 out 6 sticks didn't pass stress testing) and the RAMs relationship with the rest of your kit (well it is for us PC guys). If money's a bit tight, I'd certainly recommend going for 12GB as I think you'll notice some marked improvement (with usual disclaimers, etc).

Compliments of the Season

• 5. Re: Will more memory speed me up?
                  Canonboy2010 Level 1

Thanks everyone. So did some research and found out 16 gb is the max out for my computer. So i just got some off crucial.com man is memory cheap now!!! Hopefully i notice some improvement!

Merry Christmas,

-steve

• 6. Re: Will more memory speed me up?
                    bogiesan Level 4

Canonboy2010 wrote:

Thanks everyone. So did some research and found out 16 gb is the max out for my computer. So i just got some off crucial.com man is memory cheap now!!! Hopefully i notice some improvement!

Merry Christmas,

-steve

I'm of the "maybe" school for RAM showing any significant improvements. As Myl. points out, there are too many unknowns and variables at every frame.

What you want to do, though, is find a benchmark project (online, in a book, of your own making) and render it now. Record the time required to do the deed. The project should be 3D with a moving camera, three or more lights with full shadows and maybe movement of the lights, lots of motion blur, one or two particle effects, two or three nested precomps. Install your new memory and perform the same render.

The resutls of the test may not indicate anything but you'd do us all a big favor by returning and posting them.