10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 11:47 AM by tnsprin

Time and Date Stamp

CanStr

Can Premier Pro import AVCHD and then stamp a time and date on the frames?

The final product needs to include a time date stamp, that is, a running time during the movie.

I will be editing on a Mac.

• 1. Re: Time and Date Stamp
          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Use the Timecode effect under "Video Effects > Video" to get your timecode. You can pull a timecode from the clip, the camera's timecode from the meta data, or you can generate your own. There is no date stamp in PrPro, though... you can probably create one in After Effects, though. Or create one in the titler to match the timecode effect and line them up together...

• 2. Re: Time and Date Stamp
            CanStr Level 1

Can the timecode be burned onto the movie as a time, ie., actual clock hours minutes seconds? That is, a frame on the movie might read 04:02:09 hrs on 2011 12 02  as would a standard surveillance movie from a fixed camera.

• 3. Re: Time and Date Stamp
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Check the settings on your camera... there may be a way on your specific camera to do that. In Premiere, no, there's not a way to take the date/time stamp out of the meta data and burn it into the video (though it would make a great feature request). I think there is a way to do it in After Effects, but I'm not sure. I know the one time I did have to do something similar to what you're talking about, I had to manually set the start time in After Effects, and then it ran it from there. But if you're looking for a date/time stamp that is "burned in" to your video in such a way that it would be acceptable in a court of law as evidence, then it would have to be burned in by the camera itself, not in post. No clue if that's why you need it or not, but I've done some video work for our local police department so that occured to me as a possible need...

• 4. Re: Time and Date Stamp
                CanStr Level 1

Thank you for your reply. When miniDV was still around I used to import into CatDV ( http://www.squarebox.co.uk/catdv.html ) which would somehow harvest the metadata and burn it onto the movie. I then exported to my editor. No special camera was required.

Now with AVCHD I'm not sure how the metadata can be accessed and burned.

Yes, the movie is used for legal purposes, although the standard isn't as high as requires a customized camera with a secured watermark. That being said, if there's a way to watermark the time and date of a movie in a prosumer camera, as for legal purposes, I would certainly like to know. That would bypass all of the post issues.

Once again, thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Time and Date Stamp
                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

What specific camera are you using? I may be able to help you figure out if

it’s doable or not with your camera… some can and some can’t… it’s all

within the camera itself.

Also, the information is probably stored within the metadata for your

clip, it’s just a matter of having an effect that will access that metadata

and burn it to the image… again, something where a feature request would be

helpful.

• 6. Re: Time and Date Stamp
                    CanStr Level 1

In fact, I am presently sourcing a camera for this work.. at this time researching various options. I used to use a Sony HDR HC9 which shoots on miniDV. I liked this cam because of its manual features, toughness, and great performance with various lenses. Low light was a big problem, though. I am now considering moving to Canon (manual features) or Panasonic (low light capability), even though I have Sony lenses and batteries. Can you make any recommendations?

Does one have to have a Premier licence to make a feature request?

• 7. Re: Time and Date Stamp
                      davidbeisner2010 Level 3

No to the Premiere License… anyone can do a feature request. The link is in

the dropdown at the top of the forum menu.

As to the camera you use, I’m guessing you’ll want a smaller format camera,

which I’m not as familiar with, so you may get some better help from others

on that. I use all bigger broadcast and cinema style cameras.  I do know

that many of the smaller cameras today have a “low lux” setting which is

usually not too bad… and many have a night shot mode, which shoots the

infrared signal, and while it’s certainly not as good as a true video

signal, it is acceptable for legal work. I’d suggest you call the sales

team at B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com) because they’re quite helpful and can

probably help you narrow down to exactly what you need.

• 8. Re: Time and Date Stamp
                        CanStr Level 1

Thanks for the sales pointer, B&H is a great store.

Here's the effect in Vegas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMwt_1QFuOM

I'm trying to avoid non-OSX editors, if possible.

I also neglected to mention that I had done some editing of miniDV on Linux, with Kino, which was essentially the same procedure as shown in the Vegas video. I haven't looked at Linux video editors for a while, but recall that I had made a feature request more than a year ago regarding time date stamps for another editor.

• 9. Re: Time and Date Stamp
                          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Yeah… last time I checked there were no hacks to do that in PrPro… but

then, someone may come along and correct me. I know it’s something I’ve

seen folks on these boards asking about for the last couple years…

• 10. Re: Time and Date Stamp
                            tnsprin Level 1

It used to be supported by premiere pro but was dropped suddenly at some point.

I can't find it but believe someone has a plugin that can still pull it from source.  I don't think the original date time it is kept in the output, which is a shame.