1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 11:48 AM by phyllisj9

numbering running headers

phyllisj9 Level 2

I'm trying out running headers for the first time, believe it or not. I tend to work on a lot of things that only have one header, but I finally have something new.

I created a "Section Heading" paragraph style which updates the content of the variable on the top right.  The variable is in the "Tab" paragraph style which includes numbering (we want to number sections as I, II, III, etc.).  Only I noticed that all the running headers end up with #1 instead of subsequent numbers after the first one. 

Do I need 2 different variables to get the sections to number sequentially?  Or some other way?  I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid having multiple master pages because everything will be the same except the header.  I wasn't planning to enter the number in the copy -- only in the header.  Or if I entered it in the copy I'd want it as automatic number too (if possible).

Thanks, Phyllis

• 1. Re: numbering running headers
          phyllisj9 Level 2

Tried it with 2 different variables and it just ignores the 2nd one.  I'm guessing this isn't possible?  I thought maybe I could put the number in a separate box (instead of using a numbered list), but I still can't think of a way to update the number.  Any suggestions?  My pages should be labeled like this:

Basics. Section 1 (or 1. Basics)

Basics. Section 1

Basics. Section 1

Basics. Section 1

Basics. Section 1

Basics. Section 1

Events. Section 2 (or 2. Events)

Events. Section 2

Events. Section 2

Events. Section 2

Events. Section 2

etc.

I was trying to avoid multiple master pages as where each section starts will change during layout (and just in the interest of efficiency in general).

Thanks, Phyllis