10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2015 8:00 AM by CtDave

How to convert WPD into PDF

loraineuk Level 1

Hi,

I have created a document in WordPerfect12. Latest Adobe I have is Adobe Reader8. How can I convert the WPD into PDF?

• 1. Re: How to convert WPD into PDF
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You cannot use Reader to convert wordperfect files to pdf. You need the commercial Acrobat Suite of programs. Acrobat Standard should be sufficient. Adobe offers online services to convert files to pdf. There are both open source freeware that will convert files to pdf and other programs offered by third parties. But for my money, Acrobat is worth the price of admission.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to convert WPD into PDF
            loraineuk Level 1

Thank you Michael. Could you please explain what "Adobe offers online services to convert files to pdf." means?

Loraineuk

• 3. Re: How to convert WPD into PDF
              CtDave Level 5

Adobe provides an online service for creating PDF files ("CreatePDF").
              https://www.acrobat.com/createpdf/en/home.html

The service's FAQ page identifies the support file formats.

What file formats can I convert and combine into PDF?
              You can convert the following file types: text (TXT, PS, RTF); Adobe Creative Suite® (InDesign®, Photoshop®, and Illustrator®); Microsoft Office (DOC, XLS, PPT); Microsoft Office 2010 and 2007 (DOCX, PPTX, XLSX); Microsoft Publisher 2003 and 2007 (PUB); Open Office (ODT, ODP, ODS, ODG, ODF); Star Office (SWX, SXI, SXC, SXD, STW); WordPerfect (WPD); and images (BMP, GIF, JPEG, TIFF, PNG). You may convert any printable file format from any desktop application that prints using the "Print to PDF" feature of the service.

https://www.acrobat.com/createpdf/en/faq.html

As to using Acrobat's PDFMaker with WordPerfect - Not supported.
              However, with Acrobat installed you'd have the Adobe PDF virtual printer.
              Use File > Print and select this virtual printer.

WordPerfect uses an "in-house" PDF creation process provided with the install of WP; so you could use that.
              Details may be had at a WP user forum. 

In WP12: File > Publish To > PDF.

Be well...

Message was edited by: CtDave

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to convert WPD into PDF
                loraineuk Level 1

This was brilliant. Worked like a charm. Sooo many thanks.

Why didn't I look there myself ??? Not very smart.

Merry Christmas

loraineuk

• 5. Re: How to convert WPD into PDF
                  kahill1919 Level 1

I have this question in part.  I am able to convert my laptop WP 7 (the latest verion Corel has) to PDF but unfortunately about an inch at the right margin is cut off.  So I tried to edit it and was shocked that I would have to pay something to edit.  Why should I pay anything if I do this perhaps five times a year.  Shame on Adobe.

• 6. Re: How to convert WPD into PDF
                    CtDave Level 5

When you eat the burger you pay the bill eh.

• 7. Re: How to convert WPD into PDF
                      Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Obviously all software should be free if it doesn't suit you to pay for it, sure. Mind you, I only wear some pairs of shoes once, but do you know, the shoe store still wanted me to pay!!

• 8. Re: How to convert WPD into PDF
                        kahill1919 Level 1

Both of you are missing tthe point.  I paid for the software which should do the editing, right?  So why should I have to pay again just to do some editing?  You pay for the shoes but do not to pay to wear them.

• 9. Re: How to convert WPD into PDF
                          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Sorry if we missed the point. I don't see any mention of your paying for any Adobe software. What did you buy or subscribe to?

• 10. Re: How to convert WPD into PDF
                            CtDave Level 5

PDF generation from Word Perfect does not (and has not) make use of anything related to an Adobe.

The in-built process used to be something made in-house.. As I recall it the process  become something licensed from Nuance.

Again nothing of Adobe's.

As to Adobe Reader - Reader does not / cannot create PDF. To create PDF one typically purchases a license for and makes use of Adobe Acrobat.

While there may be some online subscription service provided by Adobe that can create a PDF & a link to the service may be provided in Reader this Is Not a functionality of Adobe Reader.

If you purchase and install Adobe Acrobat the Adobe  PDF  virtual printer is installed. Any installed application that can print to a paper printer can "print" to the Adobe PDF virtual printer from which a PDF file is "printed". 

However, it seems rather clear that you've used the in-built process provided with Word Perfect.

You'll want to consider a visit to the communities sponsored by Corel (which are robust) to solicite assistance with your Word Perfect related issue.

Be well...