6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2011 5:06 AM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 10 drops pixels when capturing from Sony HDV-A1U over 1394 cable

DarenJ

Issue: When I try to capture from Sony HDV-A1U the video pixelates or drops pixels.

Video pixels and lines are colored and sometimes not.

Hardware:

i5 processor

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Win 7 X64

8GB Ram

Troubleshooting done so far.... In this order... After each test I tried again. no go.

- installed the latest patches for PE10

- Camera Raw 6.5 update for Elements 10

- Camera Raw 6.6 update for Elements 10

- Installed latest ATI Catalyst drivers for video

- Installed DIVX Codex

- Updated system bios and chipset drivers

- Using PE8 I successfully burned from the HDV-A1U on an AMD duo core machine but can't seem to make it work on this machine..

Anyone have any ideas?

Daren

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10 drops pixels when capturing from Sony HDV-A1U over 1394 cable
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You are shooting with a multi-format HDV camcorder. If you are going to edit in Premiere Elements, you MUST shoot in HDV format at 60i/30i. And you must capture your video using a program like Premiere Elements capture workspace to stream the video in over a FireWire connection, not USB.

You also should ensure that, when you begin your Premiere Elements project, you select the settings for HDV video.

This is a $3000 professional/pro-sumer camcorder, not really made to be edited on an under-$100 program. If you want to edit with it in Premiere Elements, you must stick to its consumer formats and make sure Premiere Elements is properly set up to interface with it.

Parts 1 and 2 of my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials will show you how to set up a project and capture your video.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10 drops pixels when capturing from Sony HDV-A1U over 1394 cable
            DarenJ Level 1

Thanks for the reply and input.  I definitely agree the full version of CS5 would be much better and plan on purchasing it after the new year.

I did caputure at HDV 30i on the camer and your videos are appreciated.

Just a quick update.

I installed PE10 on my AMD Duo Core machine with 4GB RAM and it captured perfectly. (just took forever).

So I don't understand why my Quad Core machine won't do it. 

The only think left to check is cable.  I used a different cable 4pin-4pin.  It worked with the 4pin-6pin.  So there is a remote possibility that it is a bad cable.  But doubt it.

I am thinking that there is some incompatibility with the video subsystem but it doesn't make sense.

Regards,

Daren

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10 drops pixels when capturing from Sony HDV-A1U over 1394 cable

Is your quad core machine running Windows 7 64-bit OS?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/770569?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 10 drops pixels when capturing from Sony HDV-A1U over 1394 cable
                DarenJ Level 1

Both machines are running Win 7 X64 with SP1.

Read your post on the firewire and Win 7 X64 and looks like there is a variable here.

The chipset for the 1394 bus controllers and drivers are different on the two machines.

The one that is not working is using the Ricoh 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller version 2.0701.04, A04.

The Ricoh driver controls the camera just fine and it is detected quickly.  But it is possible that may be the issue.

I will try it later today and let you know.

Again, many thanks for the input.

Regards,

Daren

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 10 drops pixels when capturing from Sony HDV-A1U over 1394 cable
                  DarenJ Level 1

Thanks for the pointer Steve.  I found a similar issue on the Dell Support Forums.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19348982/19759614.aspx

The issue I have is exactly the same as the one described in this article.  And it does appear that it is a 1394 FireWire issue. Something is causing random pixelation when capturing.  The loss varies... sometimes more and sometimes less.

The research I have done seems to support this conclusion but judge for yourself.

Root cause: The original Ricoh 1394 (speed=400) had an issue with Win 7 since it was more than likely designed for Win XP.

They continued shipping the Ricoh chipset when Win 7 came out.  There was some loss of data but error checking kept it working fine.

However, video is where the issue showed up.  Another common issue was that the sound would drop out.

Solution: Buy a card with a TI (Texas Insturments) chipset.  There are some 3rd party drivers on the market but most don't work or work intermittently. 

I bought a PC Express card for the laptop.  (Belkin FireWire 800 part #F5U514) and I had to get a new 9 pin bi-lingual to 4 pin 1394 cable.  It comes with a CD that has the TI 1394 driver.

Popped it in and everything worked great.   No more video loss and it works perfectly.

Side note: the reason the duo core desktop worked is I upgraded the USB/Firewire combo card last year (I believe it was Inland combo PCI card from Frys that uses the VIA 1394 OHCI compliant driver)  After a little research I found it also has a TI Chipset.

NOTICE: I was tempted to buy the combo USB/FireWire version of this card.  However after a bit of research I found out that it is only a 400 speed card. It should work but the faster speed is definitely worth it and they are the same price.  Also while I was at the store I noticed that half the stock had been opened and returned.  Now I understand why :-)

Just wanted to follow up and document this here in case anyone else has this issue.  It took me weeks to resolve. 

Best Regards,

Daren

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 10 drops pixels when capturing from Sony HDV-A1U over 1394 cable

Thanks for reporting back, Daren! Happy moviemaking!