9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2011 6:31 AM by the_wine_snob

CHANGING THE FPS IN ELEMENTS 10?

johnbkdsbk

Recently i have been using Adobe Premiere elements 10 and have been planning on making a timelapse or stopmotion film i have about 1000 images and need to set the frame rate to around 15fps or 10 fps i have no found these options only options for video like 25fps whick is too fast so i need to know how to do this, i have tried going project settings and general and tried to do it their but with no triumph i would be very grateful if someone could help me here on this query that baffles me.

Thanks

• 1. Re: CHANGING THE FPS IN ELEMENTS 10?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're creating an animation from still photos, you're not changing the frame rate. You're just changing the duration of each still.

Before you bring your photos into your project, go into Edit/Preferences/General and set you still photo duration. Then, every photo you bring in after automatically last only that long on your timeline. For instance, if you set the Still Image Duration to 2 frames (in a project that uses 30 frames per second) your stills will change 15 times every second.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CHANGING THE FPS IN ELEMENTS 10?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve. The FPS is the Frame Rate of your Video - the one that you will be creating.

For most stop-motion, I set a Duration of ~ 3 - 5 Frames, per image, but that can vary on the frequency of each shot, the shots themselves, and also on the "mood," that you wish to create. Set that Duration, before you Import.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: CHANGING THE FPS IN ELEMENTS 10?
              Aniks Level 2

You cannot change the fps settings of any project. That is pre-defined for each project setting in PRE.

But as Bill and Steve said, what you want to do is, change the duration of your still images. Before importing all your images, first change the still duration setting Preferences->General. then import your images.

If you want to have different duration settings for different images. You should import images in group.

Say, among those 1000 images, you want to import 500 images of 3sec duration and the other 500 images of 2 sec duration, what you should do is, first set the still duration to 3, import first set of 500 images and then change the still duration to 2 and then import the next set.

Good Luck,

Aniks

• 4. Re: CHANGING THE FPS IN ELEMENTS 10?
                johnbkdsbk Level 1

I have tried this and the outcome has been very confusing it seems it can`t process the images quick enough for the smooth effect to work it works for the first 10 seconds then it jumps to the end i tried running it with windows live movie maker this was much more simple just set the duration for every picture then it runs very smoothly is there something that i could do to help it run more smoothly and make it work better

• 5. Re: CHANGING THE FPS IN ELEMENTS 10?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For your Still Images, what Duration did you choose in Edit>Preferences>Default Still Duration, prior to Import?

Did you use any Transition (you will want to adjust that Duration in Edit>Preferences) between the Still Images?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: CHANGING THE FPS IN ELEMENTS 10?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?

Have you rendered the video (press Enter) when you see red lines above clips on your timeline?

• 7. Re: CHANGING THE FPS IN ELEMENTS 10?
                      Aniks Level 2

From what you describe, I think you need rendering.

If you see red line on your timeline above the images, I would advise you to render. Press ENTER key to render. It will take time and after its done the red line should convert to green and your playback must be smoother.

• 8. Re: CHANGING THE FPS IN ELEMENTS 10?
                        johnbkdsbk Level 1

Thanks alot after a while we got there it was the rendering that did the trick

Also thanks for the much needed friendly advice i recieved here much appreciated!!

• 9. Re: CHANGING THE FPS IN ELEMENTS 10?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, when using Still Images, PrE is then "creating" Video from those Frames, so there WILL be a red line above the Stills. If you were to add a Title (or any overlay), an Effect, or extend the Duration, by Click-dragging on the Tail of the Still Image, the red line will come back. Rendering creates proxy files, just for display purposes in playback. This ARTICLE will give you more info.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt