5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2011 12:15 AM by John Hawkinson

printing A6 on A4

WeiaR

I have a small booklet of 16 pages A6 and want to print it on two sheets A4, double sided. InDesign (CS3 at least) has no options to do that properly. How to do that? Page 1 has to have page 16 next to it etcetera.

I did it the old way as I have done it so often on paper, four A6's on one A4, pages upside down etcetera. But InDesign makes a mess of text on grid lines upside down... There must be better ways.

• 1. Re: printing A6 on A4
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

File > Print Booklet

Jump Back & forth a few times from the Print Settings button to set orientation and page size and the Print Booklet dialog to choose layout and see the preview.

• 2. Re: printing A6 on A4
            WeiaR Level 1

I can't get 4 A6 on a A4.

• 3. Re: printing A6 on A4
              Daniel Flavin Level 4

InDesign's Print Booklet imposition is a bonus, not a full fledged imposition solution.

If you need multiple up, you will have to do it by hand.

You may be able to n-up in the Printers Features, via the Print Dialog Setup button.

I've not tried this, but looking at the dialogs open, left to right shows how I would achieve this...it is dependent on your printer driver/RIP being able to n-up

Untitled-1.png

edit: where my ID document reads A4 should read A6

• 4. Re: printing A6 on A4
                WeiaR Level 1

Why should InDesign not have an imposition module for simple cases like 2 and 4 per side?

I now think of printing the booklet, putting the paper again in the copy machine reversed, print, cut in two and then you have it. I guess. Thanks for the hints.

• 5. Re: printing A6 on A4
                  John Hawkinson Level 5
                  Why should InDesign not have an imposition module for simple cases like 2 and 4 per side?

Daniel's description of InDesign's imposition feature as a "bonus" is a good one.

It's really not inside the design parameters of the program. It gives you halfhearted solution, but the real answer is to use dedicated imposition software. But most people don't want to pay for that.

There are various hacks available as well, like using Scott Zanelli's multipageimporter script.