10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2011 12:04 PM by illucine

Setting up onboard RAID 0

illucine Level 1

I used the Intel Matrix Storage Manager on my ASUS motherboard to set up 2 of my 5 drives as RAID 0 and now I can't boot.  The system disk is not part of the RAID set.  I can boot Knoppix and still see the data on the system drive.  At first I thought I might be able to use the repair function on the Windows 7 installation DVD to rewrite the boot sector but I notice the BIOS does not list any of the drives when I go to the boot sequence selection so I doubt that would do any good.  Is there a way to set up a motherboard RAID after Windows is installed or am I going to have to reinstall everything again?

Roy

• 1. Re: Setting up onboard RAID 0
          JEShort01 Level 4

Roy,

Possibly you motherboard's bios is pointing to the wrong array or drive when it is trying to boot. This can be pretty annoying and is not unique to Intel's storage manager.

Look for something in the bios that sounds like "boot order" and make sure that your "boot drive" is at the top of the list; hopefully that is all that is wrong!

Jim

PS - DO NOT use Win7 repair; I've not heard yet where it helped, but I have heard where it hurt!

• 2. Re: Setting up onboard RAID 0
            illucine Level 1

JEShort01 wrote:

Look for something in the bios that sounds like "boot order" and make sure that your "boot drive" is at the top of the list;

Jim,

I already tried that.  That's what I meant when I said "the BIOS does not list any of the drives when I go to the boot sequence selection".  My boot disk, nor any of the other hard drives, can be selected in the boot order.  They don't show up.

PS - DO NOT use Win7 repair; I've not heard yet where it helped, but I have heard where it hurt!

Actually that came in quite handy for another boot problem.  For some reason after installing Windows, the D: drive was marked as the boot drive even though Windows was installed on C:.  So I unplugged the D: drive, booted from the install DVD, used it to repair the C: drive, plugged the D: drive back in, and then booted Knoppix to wipe out the boot info on the D: drive.  Worked great; At least until I tried to make 2 other drives into a [R]AID.

Roy

• 4. Re: Setting up onboard RAID 0
              illucine Level 1

Martin Douglas wrote:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Thanks for the suggestion Martin but I'm not making it as far as the Windows loader.  It appears that the BIOS can't see the drives anymore because I can't select them in the boot order.  However, this article does indicate I probably should have installed a RAID driver in Windows before creating a RAID in the BIOS.  The SATA controller was in AHCI mode (and worked fine with Windows) before I switched it to RAID mode.

Roy

• 5. Re: Setting up onboard RAID 0
                illucine Level 1

BTW, I tried deleting the RAID set and changing the controller back to AHCI mode but the drives still don't show up in the boot order.

• 6. Re: Setting up onboard RAID 0
                  Martin Douglas Level 2

Sounds like the sata cables have fallen out

Martin

• 7. Re: Setting up onboard RAID 0
                    Martin Douglas Level 2

Do the drives show up in IDE mode

Martin

• 8. Re: Setting up onboard RAID 0
                      illucine Level 1

The cables are fine.  The BIOS is detecting the drives.  They show up in the storage configuration but don't show up in the boot order list.  I tried switching the controller to IDE mode and they still don't show up in the boot order list.  I tried running the Windows repair utility from the installation disk again and it says no Windows installations detected.  When I boot a Knoppix disk, I can see the bootmgr (and the rest of Windows) on the disk 0/C: drive.  Something strange is going on...

• 9. Re: Setting up onboard RAID 0
                        illucine Level 1

Ok, I found something on the Asus motherboard forum that indicates I definitely should have setup the RAID before installing Windows:

If you want to run HDDs in RAID mode, either for the OS or for data storage only, you have to make that decision before installing the operating system. The BIOS setting 'Configure SATA as' ('SATA Configuration') has to be set to [RAID] before the OS is installed. It is not possible to change the default IDE mode, or AHCI mode, to RAID mode after the OS installation.

So, I reinstalled Windows but still have the same problem.  I've found that I can boot Windows from the hard drive when the installation DVD is in, but if I remove it, it says something like "insert media or select a proper boot device".  None of my hard drives show up in the list for selecting boot order (same as before).  I'm guessing the bootmgr on the CD detects Windows on the C: drive and loads it.  I'm wondering if I "clear CMOS" I'll be able to see my drives again.  I suppose I can try that but fear that when I set the controller to RAID mode, the same problem will be back.

Roy

• 10. Re: Setting up onboard RAID 0
                          illucine Level 1

My problem with the BIOS not allowing booting from a hard drive has mysteriously disappeared.  I was making notes on all my changes to the BIOS before I did a Clear CMOS to reset everything, and when I came to the Boot Order, the hard drives were back in the list.  I selected, saved, rebooted, and all is well (including the RAID).  The only thing I can figure out is perhaps saving the BIOS (F10) and rebooting wasn't actually saving everything and it required a full power down to do that.