6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 2:47 PM by TᴀW

baseline options, my wish isn't there

WeiaR

I work for years with InDesign and in fact always have hated the way InDesign works with text in text frames. As a type designer I see a letter as a piece of lead, just the way my 15th century hero Nicolas Jenson did, with a little bit of white above the ascenders (k, l etcetera) and a little bit of white below descenders (y, Q etcetera). Now I have a text frame and set text in it, I expect the letter with its space as designed to touch the left side of the text frame, as it does, and to to touch the top line of the frame, it doesn't. None of the baseline options is OK. Some of them even lead ascenders to ascend above the text frame, which should be forbidden. Closest to my wish is baseline option 'leading', but it gives too much white above. Sigh.

Add a baseline option 'classic' and you'll never have to think about baselines anymore as long as you use simple multiples for all font sizes in your documents.

• 1. Re: baseline options, my wish isn't there
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you use "fixed" you can set the first baseline to whatever you want.

Ariel

• 2. Re: baseline options, my wish isn't there
            WeiaR Level 1

'Fixed' is putting a full line outside the frame. Who would like to have that? Here you have them, no difference between 'ascent' and 'cap height', 'leading' extra white above the top line, 'fixed' silly. Normal text 20 on 20, heading 40 on 40, baselines 20 points from top of frame, text not on baselines. 'Ascent' and 'cap height' does not give the heading its 40 points.

Afbeelding 29.png

• 3. Re: baseline options, my wish isn't there
              David W. Goodrich Level 3

Try setting the first baseline's minimum leading to something other than the usual default of zero -- and note that this setting doesn't require fixed width.

David

• 4. Re: baseline options, my wish isn't there
                WeiaR Level 1

I think I do some more testing with the 'leading' option. Nevertheless it is strange that the simplest way does not exist as choice.

In juggling with paragraph styles, baseline positions and so on you often have to type the same measurements, say 12 pt, several times. With any change of the design of a document you have to do it again. It would be fine to have some parameters that could be set, say k=12 points and then you can use that k in different settings. Altering is changing of just that one k.

• 5. Re: baseline options, my wish isn't there
                  WeiaR Level 1

This works when setting is k on k points. Baseline option 'leading', custom baseline grid, start at 0, relative to frame, increment k. In the paragraph style a baseline shift of 0.32k (for every font a different experimental value). Headings here 2k on 3k with baseline shift k.Just an example.

Now the blue line is not showing the baseline but the line between ascenders and descenders. This gives correct headings inside text and at the top of a frame. No 'align to baseline grid' needed anymore as long as k is properly applied.

Afbeelding 29.png

• 6. Re: baseline options, my wish isn't there
                    TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Regarding your wish for a variable (eg k=12) that can then easily be

changed: I use a script I have written which is quite nifty. It asks for

your old point size, and old leading, and for a new point size and new

leading. Then it goes through all the paragraph styles, and wherever it

finds a multiple of the old style or leading value, it replaces it with

the same multiple of the new values.

So, say your paragraph indent is 1em, which you've had to set as, say

12pt. And the "space after" is 6 points. And you've got this in various

pargraphs styles.

You run the script, and tell it that instead of 12, your want 11 pt. The

script then goes though all the paragraph styles in the document, and

changes 12pt to 11pt, 6pt to 5.5pt, etc.

Is that close to what  you're looking for?

Ariel