4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 1:09 PM by try67

Creating a pop-up in Acrobat X that is triggered when the PDF is opened.

PabloMcB

Hello all,

I am wanting to create  a pop-up that is triggered when the PDF is opened.

The problem I am facing is that our customers are filling out the packet , but are not using the purple "Submit" button located at the top of the page to submit the form to us. They are instead printing out the form and faxing it to us, or scanning and emailing the packet, which defeats the whole purpose of it being a fillable, distributed pdf.

The email invitation that they receive is a bit wordy so I have have pared that down as well. To be honest with the amount of "Read this first" pop ups that we are exposed to daily I think that our customers are simply not reading the instructions properly.

There was a post here in the forums but the expanation was for Acrobat 7 or 8.

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Creating a pop-up in Acrobat X that is triggered when the PDF is opened.
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can use an app.alert by placing it in a document-level JavaScript (outside of a function definition) or in the initial page's Page Open event.

You can also place an email submit button on the form BEFORE you distribute the form. That way, the submit button will be more visible to the users.

• 2. Re: Creating a pop-up in Acrobat X that is triggered when the PDF is opened.
            PabloMcB Level 1

Thank you for the quick response George. I guess a better way communicate what I need to accomplish is "how"

I went to the toolbar on the right, then "javascript", then "Document Java Scripts". That opened a window that had me name the script, then add it, then put in the scripting (see below). I do not know how to "place it in a document-level JavaScript (outside of a function definition) or in the initial page's Page Open event."

This is the script I am attempting to use.

var message = "When you have completed filling out the Tax Organizer, click on the purple "SUBMIT" button at the top of the page. This will automaticall submit your Tax Organizer for you. Be sure to print a copy for your files"

app.alert(msg,3);

If you could provide some step by steps that would be super.

I am wanting this pop-up box to open and the client will have to then click on the "ok" button to make it dissapear so that they can then fill out the PDF.

The "Submit" button is auto created for me when I choose to distribute the form, I am unaware of any way to move it.

I feel that my issue is a elementary one, I am currently working through the Adobe Classroom in a Book lessons as all my acrobat skills have been self taught.

• 3. Re: Creating a pop-up in Acrobat X that is triggered when the PDF is opened.
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

When you add a new document-level JavaScript as you described, it will provide you with an empty function skeleton with the same name. Just delete this and add the code you showed in your last post. The code will run when the document is opened.

If you add a button to your form and set it up with a "Submit a form" action, and use a mailto type URL like the following:

mailto:someone@example.com

when you distribute the form, it will modify the button action to do the same as the submit button in the purple document message bar area. So there will be the button that you created somewhere on the form, and the other purple button. The user can click either one.

• 4. Re: Creating a pop-up in Acrobat X that is triggered when the PDF is opened.
                try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can't include quotation marks inside of a string that uses the same quotes to define it. You have to escape them, like so:

var message = "When you have completed filling out the Tax Organizer, click on the purple \"SUBMIT\" button at the top of the page. This will automaticall submit your Tax Organizer for you. Be sure to print a copy for your files"

app.alert(msg,3);