3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 3:39 PM by Rick Gerard

Specific question about Network Rendering

PedroMaccarone Level 1

Hello everybody.

I work on Mac. In a couple of days I'm gonna be receiving a big PC Server we were using to host and manage websites.

If I use this very good Server PC to host my Watch folder and the project, etc...and then I use different Mac platforms to use the Render Engine, I'm

I going to notice improvements in my rendering or the Server does not matter how good it is, cos the Mac computers are the ones doing all the work?

Am I making any sense here?

To sum it up, should I use the Server PC to RENDER or to HOST the Watch folder?

THANKS!

• 1. Re: Specific question about Network Rendering
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The faster the server and the faster the pipeline to the materials the smaller the bottleneck. It is highly unlikely that hosting the footage on the network server would be faster than working from internal drives on your local machines unless your network connection is very fast (fiber) and your server is up to the task of spitting out data at faster than drives do, and the raid is faster than the local drives.

The only improvement you may see is in available storage space. On the other hand, if you are working with USB drives for media on your local machines you may see a great improvement.

• 2. Re: Specific question about Network Rendering
            PedroMaccarone Level 1

Thanks Rick!

So would you recommend to avoid using a server machine and instead perhaps connecting all the Macs to the same external drive(s) via ethernet or firewire ?

• 3. Re: Specific question about Network Rendering
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't connect more than one mac to an external drive. Just the Ethernet isn't as fast as an internal drive. An external drive is only as fast as an internal if you connect through an ESATA connection. A raid is faster than a single drive if it's formatted correctly. A raid over Ethernet is limited by the Ethernet connection. Only fiber through a SAN is faster than a raid internally. I'd put fiber cards on your Macs (assuming Mac Pro's), then put a fiber network together using your fancy server to pump the data. If you can't afford to do that, then hook an external raid through esata to your main rendering Mac or just drop a couple of drives inside and stripe them to raid and put your watch folders there. If you want to use the other machine for rendering copy the files to it.