11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2011 2:03 PM by Kyle Hawkins

Flash movie exporting as longer in time than fps duration

Kyle Hawkins Level 1

I have created an animation in Flash which is 2mins long at 25fps, so 3000 in frame length.

However when I export it as either a swf or a mov it plays for 6mins! The frame rate is definetely 25fps in Quicktime export settings also but still it doesn't play for the correct duration?

The Quicktime movie says 6mins also desptire the fps matching.

Any ideas as to why. The movie is a standard timeline animation?

• 1. Re: Flash movie exporting as longer in time than fps duration
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The FPS value of a Flash animation is a ballpark figure at best, and it can be impacted by various factors such as how much processing the file has to perform and how much content it has to manipulate.

• 2. Re: Flash movie exporting as longer in time than fps duration
            adninjastrator Level 4

Is the exported .swf or .mov playing in slow mo? or does it display correctly (animation pace, etc).... not considering the time diiference?

Are there any movie clips that come in and play or is all the animation frame by frame?

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 3. Re: Flash movie exporting as longer in time than fps duration
              Kyle Hawkins Level 1

The movie playing very slow so obviously it's a processing issue. I thought exporting it as a .mov would resolve this, what is strange is how it exports the .mov at 6mins in length when there is only 2mins worth of frames as 25fps! There are movie clips and embedded flv files in the Flash movie yes.

• 4. Re: Flash movie exporting as longer in time than fps duration
                adninjastrator Level 4

OK, if there are problems playing the published .swf at the correct speed, then that issue will have to be resolved before the frame/time issue can be resolved.

I'd suggest you start pulling out movie clips and the flv.... one at a time and see if you can isolate the source of the problem.

As for frame count, are you including the number of frame in a movie clip in your overall frame count? (a 30 frame mc added to main timeline may take up only one frame of main timeline but still runs for 30 frames).

And you have a .flv embedded directly in the main timeline? That almost never is a good idea.

But it sounds like there is some conflict, infinate looping/iterations for example. Seems like that should be the focus of your fix efforts.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 5. Re: Flash movie exporting as longer in time than fps duration
                  Kyle Hawkins Level 1

Thanks for your help as ever.

I have gone through the movie and put everything on the top timeline so nothing is hidden, I have also removed the flv files and still the issue occurs in that it plays longer than it should do.

I can only think it's because of the computer trying to process all the graphics etc. It's a large file and as I say 2mins which is long by Flash standards.

Frustrating isn't the word, it looks like I'll have to rebuild it in After Effects unless you have any other suggestions?

• 6. Re: Flash movie exporting as longer in time than fps duration
                    adninjastrator Level 4

You really haven't given any details on how the animation was constructed or details on the content, so it's really hard to make recommendations.

If the .swf is playing slow, then there is a problem with the construction. If you'd like our advice on fixing that, we'll need ALL the details.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 7. Re: Flash movie exporting as longer in time than fps duration
                      Kyle Hawkins Level 1

The animation is built like a standard simple flash animation. All timeline based. The graphics are taken straight from Illustrator into Flash also and then converted into graphics/movie clips and animated. There are a couple of flv files in there too but when I remove them the issue persists.

There is no actionscript or anything fancy, it's constructed just as a normal timeline, tween based animation. All at 25fps.

• 8. Re: Flash movie exporting as longer in time than fps duration
                        adninjastrator Level 4

Were the graphics created at the exact dimensions used in Flash? or are they being scaled up or down once they are imported into Flash? What are the w/h dimensions and file size of a typical graphic before importing to Flash.

What are the stage dimensions and what is the current .fla size.

Adninjastrator

• 9. Re: Flash movie exporting as longer in time than fps duration
                          Kyle Hawkins Level 1

No, the graphics were scaled down when imported into Flash directly from Illustrator. The dimensions are 1080x720 for the fla and swf and my intention is to export as a mov for You Tube.

The file size is 80MB at present but the swf is only 4MB which shouldn't make it play so slow.

• 10. Re: Flash movie exporting as longer in time than fps duration
                            adninjastrator Level 4

Doesn't sound like an enourmously large file ...large dimensions....but still should work.

When you say "scaled down when imported into Flash directly from Illustrator"... so the graphics are larger and Flash is having to do that scaling? That is almost never a good idea. All assets should be created at the exact dimensions used in Flash so no scaling has to happen.

But you are saying that the .swf does not and never has run at the correct pace, it runs slower than you would like... is that correct?

Have you played around with the frame rate... increase or decrease, just to see the reaction? If there is some type of computation or graphic display problem, lowering the frame rate would give more time for those computations/redraws, so yes because of more frames the time is also longer but you may see that the increase in time is not proportional to the decrease in frame rate. Then do the same by increasing frame rate.

So for example, double the frame rate (50fps) should result in an animation of half the time length. So if the current 3000 frames take 6 min @25fps, you could theorize that @50fps it should take around 3 min... if it takes even longer, then it might just be that the graphic redraws or computations or really overwhelming the machine.

On the other hand, lowering the frame rate may give the machine time to "catch up" and not run as slow as it is now.

You might also try to reduce greatly the display size to see if that allows more rapid redraws.

If you'd like, post a link to the .swf and let us take a look. There may be other suggestions.

Adninjastrator

• 11. Re: Flash movie exporting as longer in time than fps duration
                              Kyle Hawkins Level 1

Thanks, yes the graphics were larger and then resized in Flash. It's at certain points in the movie it slows right down I have attached a link for you to see:

http://www.khawkinsdesign.com/test/part1.swf

You will see the audio doesn't sync as the movie slows down. A good example is about 30secs in when the head appears and the word 'dopamine' animates in, the narrator mentions this word before the animation the head and brain plays. This animation then takes ages to play despite only being 670 frames long.

I have started playing around with the frame rate as you mention. It does speed it up but is still out of sync so I'll have to try to match it accordingly. I imagine this will speed up also when I publish it as a .mov also?