5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2011 12:27 PM by John Hawkinson

InDesign CS5 Painfully Slow

KM9999

I'm running CS5 in Parallels on an iMac with 2.8GHz Core i7 quad core and 16GB of RAM.

I've set up Parallels with a healthy amount of space and memory allocation. Photoshop and Illustrator run just fine, but InDesign (and, to a lesser extent InCopy) are unbearably slow:

Output a PDF: ~6 Minutes

Save a ~7MB InDesign File: ~5 minutes

Open contextual menus from toolbox: 30+ seconds

Move items on a page: choppy and imprecise.

You get the idea.

I've set Display Performance to Fast, Screen Mode to Normal, Turned off Dynamic Spelling and Auto-Correct, Turned Pre-Flight off, and several other suggested tweaks, but performance hasn't appeared to noticeably improve.

It has made a huge dent in my productivity and is a real pain when trying to quickly turn around changes under deadline.

Since the other CS apps work fine for me in this environment, I'm left to think it's something specifically with InDesign/InCopy.

Is there some basic speed improvement scheme I'm missing? Is it linked items? Is it a setting?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 Painfully Slow
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Any third-party plugins?

Diagnosing this is somewhat unpleasant. Try the following:

1. Select a task that driven by a single user interaction (e.g. clicking a button, executing a menu command) which is noticably slower thanit should be.

2. Go to Activity Monitor, and select InDesign. Go back to InDesign.

3. Initiate the task.

4. Rapidly switch to Activity Monitor and click the Sample Process button. Activity Monitor will pause InDesign every millisecond and take a snapshot of its activity.

Upload the resulting report to http://pastebin.com/, post a link here, and I will look over it for clues.

It is possible to reduce steps 2 and 4 to a single keypress if necessary (no mouse switching required, etc.), but it's a pain so if that's not necessary, let's skip it. If it is, let me know if you have another machine in reaching distance (e.g. a laptop).

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 Painfully Slow
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is that going to work in Parallels?

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 Painfully Slow
              John Hawkinson Level 5

We'll find out! It certainly won't hurt.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 Painfully Slow
                KM9999 Level 1

No third-party plugins.

Fortunately, I have dual monitors, so can watch Activity Monitor while performing tasks in InDesign/Parallels.

Unfortunately, AM only reports generic Windows apps running. I have anti-virus sw running in the background, so there's always *something* running; it doesn't appear possible to parse out what an individual app is doing.

I'm taking another run at this by starting a brand new doc, then adding links/assignments one-at-a-time and testing performance/viewing Activity Monitor to see if I can tell what's grinding ID to a halt.

Thanks for your response!

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5 Painfully Slow
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Unfortunately, AM only reports generic Windows apps running. I have anti-virus sw running in the background, so there's always *something* running; it doesn't appear possible to parse out what an individual app is doing.

No, no, it is possible! See my instructions, above, in reply #1. You must use the "Sample Process" functionality. Feel free to interpret it yourself, but you may find assistance to be of value. (Just don't post it here -- use http://pastebin.com and post a link.)