3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 3:58 PM by Rick Gerard

animate my camera, or my comp(s)?

lmaclanphere Level 1

Hello all--

So this seems like a simple question, but maybe it isn't:  when do you animate the camera, and when do you simply animate the comp(s) to simulate camera movement?  Are there some general rules you follow? Or, more user preference?

Thanks very much

LML

• 1. Re: animate my camera, or my comp(s)?
          dh91 Level 1

It all depends on the complexity of your scene. If there are just 1 or 2 layers that need to be keyframed to do simple moves then that is fine. But if you are working with layers that need to move like a camera is flying around, then save a lot of trouble and use the camera. The hardest part at that point is to position the layers/comps in 3d space so thay they move correctly relative to the camera.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: animate my camera, or my comp(s)?
            lmaclanphere Level 1

Thank you!

I wonder if a general rule might be this: if all layers are in the same plane, animate the layers (or their comps), but if layers live on multiple planes, animate the camera?

• 3. Re: animate my camera, or my comp(s)?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Think of After Effects as a stage. You can either have a camera on the stage (3D) or you can sit in the audience (2D). If you're sitting in the audience you have no choice, you must animate the actors (layers). If you have put a camera on the stage then you have to decide what you want to do with the scene. As on a real stage, if you have set pieces (walls, buildings, other big heavy stuff) and you want some motion in the shot then it's easier to move the camera. On the other hand, if there are things going on between the walls, you'll also want to animate your actors.

In other words, set up the room, move the actors around the room, then decide the best way to move the camera so that the shot tells the story. The only rule is there are no rules and there's more than one way to do everything.

1 person found this helpful