3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2011 9:12 AM by dh91

When key framing position, how to hide before and after points

dh91 Level 1

Hey all, simply question (i hope),

I'm keyframing the position of my light emitter, and now i have a huge ball of before and after points which makes it near impossible to do any more position keyframing. Is there a way to just see the current point or to make a limited number of before and after points visible?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2011-12-21 at 4.51.42 PM.png

• 1. Re: When key framing position, how to hide before and after points
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you don't want to look at the keyframes you can turn them off in preferences or in View Options. You'll find View Options under the fly out menu at the top right corner of the Composition Panel.

If you want to click on keyframes in the composition window and drag them around then you'll have to keep some of them available. If you want to make fine adjustments with the layer's position you can use the values in the timeline. If you want more space between the keyframes in the timeline you can zoom in by clicking and dragging the Time Navigator bar at the top of the Timeline or by clicking on the little big mountains little mountains icon at the bottom of the timeline.

Sometimes, when I'm doing this kind of adjustments I just turn off the keyframe indicators, step through the animation a frame at a time and use the nudge keys to fine tune the position.

• 2. Re: When key framing position, how to hide before and after points
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks like you're trying to do motion tracking the hard way. If you do this with the motion tracking window, this might be easer and heck, you might even be able to automate it. Actually, there's a whole section in the AE help on motion tracking. Pull it up. It'll help you a lot.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: When key framing position, how to hide before and after points
              dh91 Level 1

Hey Szalam,

I read your mind ahead of time.. i noticed there seemed to be good contrast between the object being tracked and the background so I went through and motion tracked it. I did have to correct the track several times because it would stray away but it was still a much smoother process. I then created a null object and pick whipped its position to whatever the first value under the motion tracker keyframes was.. then parented the light emitter to the null object and that seemed to work well.