18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2011 1:04 AM by Peter Spier

maintaining image size

xpfroop

When I import a high resolution image into indesign (11M), indesign reduces the size to 1M. How may I maintain the image size?

• 1. Re: maintaining image size
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Why do you think the reduction happens on import, and how are you measuring?

Usually such things happen on output, as a function of your PDF Export settings.

More detail, please, including your measurement technique.

• 2. Re: maintaining image size
            xpfroop Level 1

I don't know why this is happening, it didn't happen with CS4. the measurement comes when i shoot the picture with my camera. I use the largest/highest setting i have provided by the camera. Or I'll scan something really large.

In this particular case photoshop tells me it's an 11.1M photo. I imported it into an indesign document, printed it out, and it looks horrible. I've lost all my resolution and detail. I checked the image size in the info window in indesign and it said the image size for 1.1M. I took the image to an outside printer. It printed fine. this has happened more than once with other images.

I'm not exporting this document, or changing it into a PDF. I'm just printing the page out of the indesign file. I also tried to print the photo from photoshop and it did the same thing. I know it's a cs5 thing. I didn't have this problem with cs4 and haven't changed anything except the upgrade of the program.

• 3. Re: maintaining image size
              John Hawkinson Level 5

The key information you omitted is that you are PRINTING. Please check that Graphics > Images: Send Data is set to "All" and not "Optimized Subsampling."

This is a bug (somewhere). Optimized subsampling should give an image as good as your printer can give (and no better). But it doesn't always.

• 4. Re: maintaining image size
                xpfroop Level 1

I changed the setting to "all" and printed again. No change. Indesign shows the image info as 1.1M. this is where the problem is because the image size is so tiny......if this is a bug, do you have any suggestions how to remedy this?

• 5. Re: maintaining image size
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, that's a bummer. So much for my carefully crafted theory.

What is the resolution of the image, what is the file format, what is the color space, what are the Actual and Effective PPI numbers are ported by InDesign in the Info window, and how does it look if you export to PDF.

That you see a problem printing from Photoshop is a bad sign -- that is not normal behavior, and it is something I overlooked. It makes me wonder if there is something wrong with your operating system / printer driver infrastructure. What's the OS, its version, and the type of printer, please?

• 6. Re: maintaining image size
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

HOW are you getting the image into ID?

• 7. Re: maintaining image size
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

A few questions.

1.       What file format are you using?

2.       Are you placing images directly from the camera or are you processing them in Photoshop first?

3.       Can you post screenshots of the links panel showing the file size AND Bridge/Finder/Explorer screenshot as well.

Bob

• 8. Re: maintaining image size
                        Bo LeBeau Level 4

The 11 MB size that Photoshop is reporting at the bottom left of the screen is how much RAM Photoshop uses to open the photo.

This is NOT the file size of the unopened file in the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer. Check this on your computer.

In other words, your file size is not 11 MB but closer to 1.1 MB

The file size in InDesign's Links panel is closely related to the file size on disk.

• 9. Re: maintaining image size
                          RD. Mitchell

I'm not sure if this will help you, but it's helped me.

I've found that InDesign is really bad at image scaling. If I put an image into the document and try to make it fit within the confines of the page (so downscaling), it turns out horrible.

To get around this, I resize the image in Photoshop before placing it in InDesign. The best way to resize it I found was to turn off "Resample Image" in the Image Size settings. Then I change the width and height to match what I need for the document and copy it over.

When the image prints using this method, it comes out really clear.

• 10. Re: maintaining image size
                            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’m afraid you’re doing something wrong or there is something wrong with your system. I have not found any need to scale in Photoshop except for very drastic size reductions.

Bob

• 11. Re: maintaining image size

RD. Mitchell wrote:

Then I change the width and height to match what I need for the document and copy it over.

REALLY bad workflow. Never COPY an image from Photoshop to InDesign. All you get is the screen preview. Instead, use File > Place and link to the full resolution image. When you do that there is no need to scale in Photoshop unless you intend to sharpen afterwards. Scaling a placed image is EXACTLY the same as placing an image that has been scaled without resampling.

• 12. Re: maintaining image size
                                RD. Mitchell Level 1

I would not put it past me doing something wrong. All I know is that when I scale an image down in InDesign, it comes out very blurry when I print it. But I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll save my problems for another day

• 13. Re: maintaining image size
                                  xpfroop Level 1

Hi everyone. So this is what I've learned so far.........if you place a 72 dpi photo into id, id will save it as a thumbnail and embed it small. so change the dpi to 150 or higher, keeping the original size, in photoshop, prior to placing it into id. i've learned that some of my images were small to begin with, and poor scans....garbage in, garbage out. i'm still having the problem, however, using a high rez, high quality image.  i've found the settings in the color management menu for printing were set wrong. i'm now testing that out. what do you all use?

• 14. Re: maintaining image size

Upsampling in Photoshop does nothing to improve image quality. You're just making up pixels where none previously exisited.

• 15. Re: maintaining image size
                                      xpfroop Level 1

I'm not upsampling, while maintaining the size i'm changing the dpi; the dpi will increase, but the file size will decrease.

• 16. Re: maintaining image size

Which is the same thing you would get if you placed the file as-is and then scaled down to the new size.

If you look at the link info you'll see tow values for resolution, actual and effective. Ther actual value is the value stored in Photoshop when the file is saved. The effective resolution is the resolution at the size the image is being used in ID, and it's the only number that counts. Resolution and and physical dimensions are inversely proportional, and it makes no difference where or how you do the scaling if you don't change the number of pixels in the image. Pixels are pixels. An image that is 300 pixels by 300 pixels contains exactly the same data whether printed at 1" x1" (300 ppi) .5" x .5" (600 ppi) or 2" x 2" ( 150 ppi). The only difference is how large pysically each poixel is printed and whether or not you are able to distinguish them visually. Ther ei sno differnce inthe content or quality of the image, and if you change the viewing distance proprtionally, all will look identical.

• 17. Re: maintaining image size
                                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Upsampling in Photoshop does nothing to improve image quality. You're just making up pixels where none previously exisited.1

1 --- Weeeeell, I'm going to try to add a footnote to Peter's comment, because it's definitely tangential to what we're talking about. But the above is really not quite true. It's not just making up pixels. It is definitely creating pixels where they did not exist, and that's difficult to do properly, but in fact it can do so successfully given the right kind of image. This is easy to see if you have, say, a sharp line going across a field of white. If the line is up or down, you can uprez the image with no loss of resolution, just you can a rectangle on a field of white. Not worth the bother though. But if the line is at an angle, then the interpolation can add real value, adding in more pixels to reduce the stairstep effect, etc. I think the takeaway is you can't assume that it will improve image quality, but in limited ways, especially when associated with other transformations (like blurs), it can do so, and it can especially mask some of the more painful artifacts of using a low-resolution image.

Not that this is relevant. Also, no superscripts in Jive.

• 18. Re: maintaining image size

Well, since John brought it up, I'll politley disagree. You might, using Bicubic Smoother interpolation remove some jaggies from from an upsampled image, but you do so at the cost of an overall loss of sharpness in the image, so I suppose it depends on what you consider an "improvement."