8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2011 4:59 PM by Stan Jones

Help with security video clips

bulletmaker@hotmail.com

I am attempting to place several video clips from my security cameras on a DVD for legal issues.  The data of the security camera videos are as follows; mp4 format, frame rate = 10 fps, 960x720, data rate 1274kbps, total bitrate is 1290kbps, audio is 16kbps, mono, 8kHz.

I can import these clips into Premiere Pro, but I can't do anything else.  These clips will not show in the resourse or progress monitor, they will not render, I cannot export them to media, nor will Encore accept these videos.

Help Please!!

• 1. Re: Help with security video clips
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/

• 2. Re: Help with security video clips
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Your source footage isn't DVD legal, which means conversion.  And for most legal purposes, conversions are best avoided.

Your better option may be to simply make a data DVD for computer playback.

• 3. Re: Help with security video clips
              bulletmaker@hotmail.com Level 1

Does this information help!

General           : LMR S121223.6082590-0600 D33011 A21843 F33 E.mp4
              Format            : MPEG-4 at 1 272 Kbps
              Length            : 5.03 MiB for 33s 152ms

Video #0          : AVC at 1 250 Kbps
              Aspect            : 960 x 720 (1.333) at 10.421 fps

Audio #0          : AAC at 16.0 Kbps
              Infos             : 1 channel, 8 000 Hz

• 4. Re: Help with security video clips
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My security cameras (the recording software/hardware, which varies) have options to export the footage in more user friendly formats.

I am attempting to place several video clips from my security cameras on a DVD for legal issues.

There are legal purposes and then there are legal purposes. A slight variation in what Jim suggests, put the original file(s) as a data file (in the ROM content) on the DVD. You can add text in a menu that explains this.

But I worry about anything with a frame rate of 10.421 fps. It likely is using a variable frame rate, preventing you from making an accurate copy in a friendlier (and certainly not DVD) format. But you can get the general idea across (the guy in the red shirt took an item from the counter and put it in his pocket).

Have you tried in PR dragging one of the clips to the new item icon to see what sort of sequence it creates? And whether that gives you a better result?

But based on what you are describing so far, I think you've got to look for a conversion option  prior to PR.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Help with security video clips

Stan:

I tried your suggestion of dragging one of the clips to the new item icon.  It did create a sequence with 10.421 fps, but still no luck with going any further.  Trying to do anything with those clips will lock up PR.  I am trying the conversion route, but as of yet, I haven't found anything that will work and I have tried several different programs.  I think the conversion may work if I find the right program with the correct settings.

• 6. Re: Help with security video clips

Does the device it was recorded on have any options for output?

• 7. Re: Help with security video clips

Stan:

Hey, I appreciate your patience with an old man (retired military, USN 71 to 99 and approximately ten years as a LEO)   My cameras are Logitech Alert Outdoor cameras and with my son's verbal assistance from Iraq, I ran CAT5e wire direct to a POE switch, instead of using their Powerline products.  I could not get a good bandwidth signal with Logitech's Powerline products due to resistance in my hourse wiring????  I am not familiar with any other type of security cameras, but I am amazed with what these cameras will do and they were in my price range.  I live far from the nearest town with a population over 1000 and I rely on these cameras to record any unusual events and so far I have had none.  I just have a neighbor that has uttered words bordering on terroistic threatning and I hope the situation never escalates into something worse.  Only a stranger into this area would suffer, since my neighbors all know (or have heard stories) that I carry a .45acp 1911 unconcealed about my property at all times and they know somewhat of my LEO background as an expert pistol shot along with sniper and knife offense/defense training, but some folks are really stupid.  Enough of my bragging.

The videos are filed/saved in my Windows 7 Pro operating system and I have no trouble viewing the videos with Microsoft Video Player, VLC or Quicktime.  I have requested assistance from Logitech technicians, but they are no help, since they stated since the file formats are in .mp4 there shouldn't be any problem.

As far as legality goes, I understand the converted files into a continuous format with menus, etc, may raise eyebrows in a courtroom (You will have to excuse me, but the so-called lawyers in this area aren't exactly known for being too smart, but I would have to show them how to work the computer and show them the video recordings otherwise), Of course, I would always have the original files as backup, without question, but with a smooth running video with dates, times, etc. might make my case easy if this situation went that far and again, hopefully it never does.

I have purchased another security camera video logging system (BlueIris) that will work with the Logitech cameras and am now setting it up to run as a backup.  BlueIris will record my video in several formats, so I may be in luck, but it doesn't help me with the past recordings.

Hey, thanks again.  It's extremely nice to receive more assistance than giving me more than other links to lookup.

Merry Christmas and have a Wonderful New Year!!!!!!!

If you are ever in northern Arkansas, send me a PM and I would take great pleasure in thanking you in person.

• 8. Re: Help with security video clips

Keep working on converting is all I can see.

You might try posting a short sample of the video from these cameras (not one that you would use legally). It needs to be the actual video, not one converted by youtube.

Don't get to Arkansas very often; the other Kansas, yes!