9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2011 10:23 AM by BobLevine

Stylesheets in InDesign

JONATHANR69

Hi all,

I am a regular Quark user, but I have been supplied with an InDesign job which we need to amend, and ID is completely new to me.

Each item on the page has a code number and description, and this code number has a master style called CODE applied. This is set to the section colour, and has a dotted underline also in the section colour.

Following sections have exactly the same styling applied, but just with a different colour relating to the section. When I select a word in this following section, in the Paragraph Styles pallette, the style shows as CODE+ which, from my Quark knowledge means it has the basic stylesheet applied, but has then subsequently been changed - in this case the colour.

What I can't seem to establish is whether there is a second stylesheet applied for each section to allow for the different colour, as I would in Quark, because when I change the master CODE stylesheet everything just changes to the new colour, and I am ending up with lots of sections all the same colour.

Any pointers would be very useful, so thanks in advance.

Jonathan

• 1. Re: Stylesheets in InDesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The + indicates that some manual formatting change was made, and I'd guess it was the color.

In ID all text has a paragraph style of some sort applied, and this defines the basic font specifications for the paragraph. Character styles are used to change parameters for isolated text of some sort that needs to deviate from the base, and they can be very general, as doing nothing more than changing text to bold or italic, changing the color, or adding an underline or small caps attribute, or they can be complex and do many things at once, including changing the face (which is useful for branding situations). Character styles do not show as an override (plus sign) becasue the point is that they should continue to be applied even when you redefine the paragraph style (which you might do multiple times, including to have specs that are the same as the character style. If you do that with a local override, anything that is changed and matches the override is no longer overridden, so that attibute becomes controlled by the paragraph style again. Confused?).

Both paragrah and character styles can be defined based on other styles, so that you can change only one or two parameters, but have everything else update when you change the base style. For example you might have a heading style that is uses Garamond Bold 18 pt and a subheading based on it that changes only the size, to say 12 pt. Somewhere along the line you decide to change the face to Myriad, and both styles will not be myriad, but will retain the two size specifications.

In your case you have a bit of a dilemma. You need a separate syle for each section -- you can't define a style to be one thing in condition A and another in condition B, but you might be able to script the application of the styles based on the section. One of the scripters may see this and offer a suggestion here, or you can psoe the qusetion over in scripting here: InDesign Scripting

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stylesheets in InDesign
            JONATHANR69 Level 1

hmmm. I was worried I would be in a bit of a dilemma, Peter. I can't really complain about the original artworker, because this is something I have done myself in Quark - it is easy to lose yourself with stylesheets, especially if people are jumping up and down for their job.

However, this is what I have got and so I either need to stick with the colours I have, or manually re-apply a stylesheet to hundreds and hundreds of different elements. Nice colours!

Thanks for coming back with such a full and comprehensive reply so quickly, Peter.

• 3. Re: Stylesheets in InDesign
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For things like this it’s nice to set a base style that you will never use. Everything is in there but the color.

Then you create a new paragraph style based on that for each section changing only the color.

Bob

• 4. Re: Stylesheets in InDesign

You can apply styles (including a "next style" progression, if one is defined) to entire blocks of text over many pages in one go by selecting as much as is appropriate. You don't necessarily need to go paragraph by paragraph. If there is some sort of recognizable pattern, you may also be able to use GREP to either change the style using Find/Change, or by adding a GREP style that will assign the appropriate character style automatically. I haven't used Quark since version 6, but ID is far more powerful that was in style handling.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Stylesheets in InDesign
                  JONATHANR69 Level 1

Just as an example, I have a page with 6 items on it, so 6 pic boxes, and underneath each pic is a separate text box containing all of the information for that item - none of the boxes are linked, so I can't select entire blocks of text? I don't think there is enough consistency in the item names (all unique code numbers) to use GREP.

From what I have read, Quark used to lag behind ID as far as stylesheets went, but Quark v9 is extremely powerul in that regard. Unfortunately, I am not using Quark...

• 6. Re: Stylesheets in InDesign
                    JONATHANR69 Level 1

Of course, I could just delete the colour I know is being used, and I assume that InDesign will give me an alert and a choice as to which colour I wish to replace it with?

• 7. Re: Stylesheets in InDesign

JONATHANR69 wrote:

Unfortunately, I am not using Quark...

Once you get used to ID, that sentiment will likely change, but of course that's what you'll hear from al of us who are ID converts.

Anyway, the beauty of GREP is that it can find unique item numbers, if they are isolated in some way. \d{3}\u+\d+ for example will find any string of  3 digits (it will find the last three in a longer string of digits, in this case) followed by one or more uppercase letters and one or more digits, so if your part numbers have some sort of logical structural pattern to how they are formed you can use GREP to find them.

• 8. Re: Stylesheets in InDesign

JONATHANR69 wrote:

Of course, I could just delete the colour I know is being used, and I assume that InDesign will give me an alert and a choice as to which colour I wish to replace it with?

yup. define the new swatch, first.  And this will be a global change.

• 9. Re: Stylesheets in InDesign
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Honestly, your problem right now is unfamiliarity with InDesign and trying think about how you would do it in Quark.

You’re working in InDesign so, for your own sake try to forget that Quark even exists. If as you say those text frames (note the terminology) are not threaded (again, terminology) then just select them all and apply the paragraph style you need.

Done.

Bob