10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 11:33 AM by BarbBinder

How do I set something up like this?

ladyinblack1964 Level 1

Grid.JPG

I took this screenshot from InDesign. Several months ago a friend set up this grid for me. I want to use it for making faux postage stamps. However, I'm noticing that some of the dots are overlapping in places (you may need to zoom in to see this).

I wonder if anyone can tell me how I can set up a grid like this on my own. I've tried and not had much luck. I want to be able to put images in each "cell" (you'll see the boxes I put in there already). Isn't there an easy way to do this? It doesn't have to look exactly like what my friend did, but I would like something similar. Please, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I set something up like this?
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

Begin by determining the width and height of one dotted frame. This is going to be the repeat distance. (If I had a sample sheet, I would measure from the first line to the sixth and divide by six for accuracy)

Select the rectangle tool. I would suggest you now set your stroke to zero.

With the rectangle tool, double click in the work area, a dialog pops up to enter your size. Enter the size you determined.

Open the stroke panel for more options, I've set Align Stoke to Center.

Set a stroke weight of about 2. Choose Dotted or Japenese dots. Once you start adjusting the stroke weight you will see the dot spacing adjust.

Note, that after applying the dotted stroke, the frames show as larger by half the stroke weight. (There are local preferences to include stroke weight somewhere, I could be off here)

You might want to create the object frame at this point. I'd create a new layer for it, this layout will have many objects soon. Create the object frame any way you wish. You can use the Align Panel tools to center them after creating.

Select all, Edit > Step and Repeat. In the dialog, enter the dimensions from width.

Select all, Edit > Step and Repeat. In the dialog, enter the dimensions from height.

In the example I've set a 1.5 x 2 frame, it's dimensions in the control strip include the stroke weight.

HTH

Stroke & Repeat.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I set something up like this?
            ladyinblack1964 Level 1

That did work, thank you.

However, I don't understand the step and repeat part. While your screen shot came out with no gutter between the boxes, mine did. I don't understand the Offset box commands.

I'm also not getting the same screen shot you are getting, with Repeat Count. Mine looks like this:

Capture.JPG

My boxes are 1.25" x 1.75". I want six columns in each row. Not sure how many rows I want yet.

What am I doing incorrectly? Thanks v. much.

• 3. Re: How do I set something up like this?
              ladyinblack1964 Level 1

I also don't understand why when I select my object frame, the Align Panel commands seem to do absolutely nothing when I click on them.

Edit: I think it's because I need to have a bunch of object frames selected, not just one. OK.

• 4. Re: How do I set something up like this?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

ladyinblack1964 wrote:

However, I don't understand the step and repeat part. While your screen shot came out with no gutter between the boxes, mine did. I don't understand the Offset box commands.

My boxes are 1.25" x 1.75". I want six columns in each row. Not sure how many rows I want yet.

What am I doing incorrectly? Thanks v. much.

the offsets need to be set to the dimensions of the frames, plus any space between, You dont want any space, so you'll use 1.25 for the horizontal offset (and set the number of copies to 5 or the number of rows to 6, depending on wheter you have selected create as grid) and set the vertical to 1.75 and the number to be determined. If you don't select create as grid, set the vertical offset to 0 for the first step, then select the whole row, reopen step and repeat, reset the horizontal offset to 0 and do the vertical offset at 1.75 foir th number of rows, minus one, that you need in the copies field.

• 5. Re: How do I set something up like this?
                  ladyinblack1964 Level 1

Aha! I think I finally got it. Thank you very much!

• 6. Re: How do I set something up like this?
                    Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could also work the other way:

1. make a rectangle with the Rectangle Frame Tool of overall width and height of ALL your frames

2. select the rectangle

3. open your Scripts panel.

Under Sample/JavaScripts you will find a script called "MakeGrid.jsx" (preinstalled during the installation process of your InDesign app),

4. doubleclick "MakeGrid.jsx" and a dialog box will pop up.

There you can make adjustments for number of rows, columns, gutters etc.

To get measurement units different from pt, just type your new values in (e.g. 0.5" for inches).

Two side-effects (in the next version of InDesign Adobe should address these):

1. Your document measurement units will change to "Points" (very nasty in my German InDesign document where "mm" is preferred)
                    For the German language version of this script Gerald Singelmann addressed this issue with "Rahmen zerschneiden.jsx":

http://indesign-faq.de/files/2008/01/JSsamples.zip

2. To undo the script you have to do a lot of undos (depending how many new rectangles you built).
                    Thanks to Jongware this problem is addressed publicly here (if you like to do a little scripting for yourself):

http://indesignsecrets.com/add-undo-to-your-script.php

See also screenshot
                    BEFORE:

BEFORE_MakeGrid.png

and AFTER:

AFTER_MakeGrid.png

Uwe

• 7. Re: How do I set something up like this?
                      ladyinblack1964 Level 1

Hello, OP here.

I'm trying to set up another one of these, and following the above directions. But something is going wrong.

I'm attaching a screenshot. As you can see, my photos are too large for the frames I've created, somehow. And I've got these strange gutters with double dots between each column.

I'm trying to set up a grid for 2" x 1.75" faux postage stamps. Everything seems to be going OK, until the end result! If I were to put the second stamp in, it would not be the correct size. It's as if the boxes are overlapping.

Can someone please help (again)? Thank you so much. Everybody on these forums has been really nice to me.

postoid grid.JPG

• 8. Re: How do I set something up like this?
                        BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

It looks to me like your frames are overlapping. You need to ensure that the frames touch, but they can't overlap. Peter's Step and Repeat will work, as will Laubender's script. Or at this point, just marquee the right three column of frames and tap the right arrow key until they align with the right edge of the first column. Then select the right two columns and nudge them to the right. And finally, nudge the last column to the right.

• 9. Re: How do I set something up like this?
                          ladyinblack1964 Level 1

Thank you very much! That worked!

• 10. Re: How do I set something up like this?
                            BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Perfect!

And good call on the second post, fyi. It's what directed me back to this one.