6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2011 11:46 AM by alianj

3D Line Bend

alianj

Hi!, I've been trying to bend a shape layer to make it sort of a circle style but being a line... (hope u understand me) in 3D

What i want it's to make sort of rings Oo <- like that from big to small, but, in 3D and in front view, so basicly, if i try using the Mesh Warp, the puppet tool, or anything like that it would bend it, but it woulnd't actually bend it in 3D and it won't make the ring shape.

Here's an screenshot that explains it better.

[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/akz67q.jpg[/img]

Some people recommended me to use DE_FreeFormAE but i coulnd't figure out how to do that in 3D  >-||

If someone would be so kind of doing it in a proyect with a solid or just tell me how to, i could figure it out.

• 1. Re: 3D Line Bend
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would look at something like Trapcode 3D stroke or even FreeForm (included with CS5.5). You can't bend a layer without a specialized plug-in.

• 2. Re: 3D Line Bend
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

CC Cylinder

Mylenium

• 3. Re: 3D Line Bend
              alianj Level 1

@Mylenium i don't want horizontal XZ rings, infact i want XY rings.

@Rick Gerard Trapcode 3D Stroke worked like a charm, infact there's only 1 single problem, i can't composite it, in 3D to move it at my wil with a camera, basicly what i did.

Made new composition > New Solid > Made a path > Applied 3D Stroke to it  and bended the line> Precomposed it > Made a new camera and a new null object > Parente the camera to the null and tryed to move it around > ofc it din't work since the layer wasen't in 3D so i made it 3D but still it was in 2D

So i tryed using the controls inside the plug-in itself, what happened is that the bended line won't rotate exactly around the center point, instead it rotates the whole think, any clue about that?

• 4. Re: 3D Line Bend
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

@Mylenium i don't want horizontal XZ rings, infact i want XY rings.

You are aware that you can rotate CC Cylinder to any axis you like, yes?

Made new composition > New Solid > Made a path > Applied 3D Stroke to it  and bended the line> Precomposed it > Made a new camera and a new null object > Parente the camera to the null and tryed to move it around > ofc it din't work since the layer wasen't in 3D so i made it 3D but still it was in 2D

So i tryed using the controls inside the plug-in itself, what happened is that the bended line won't rotate exactly around the center point, instead it rotates the whole think, any clue about that?

I don't quite follow. A straight horizontal mask path across the entire solid with a bend factor of 2 gives a perfect circle and the pivot of the circle is determined by the relative position of the mask path in relation to the anchor point of the layer. It may take some experimentation, but it's perfectly possible to get it spinning around a mid-point.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: 3D Line Bend
                  alianj Level 1

Sorry, i tryed that already but same happens, i can't rotate it properly. for instance, when i made it rotate it will rotate in a way i only see the half visible part. what i want it's for example to rotate around a cylinder.

In Creative Cow they recommended me, to check ShapeShifter out the forums.

here i add what i got so far. Please check it and tell me what i am doing wrong.

http://www.multiupload.com/G8E71AXOH3

• 6. Re: 3D Line Bend
                    alianj Level 1

Thanks to both for the help i found a way to do it here in creative cow.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1011706

just leaving the feedback in case anyone is stuck like i was. Thank you.