17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 10:47 AM by billmix

Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume

Thelothian Level 1

Hi all

Before writing this post, I browsed the forums looking for a discussed solution ... but nothing.

My problem is simple: Indesign CS 5.x and Illustrator (I tried both version 5.0 and 5.5) running on a Mac with OSX 10.7.x, writes hidden pdf files on AFP network volumes.

Please note, PDF files ONLY. If I export documents on jpegs or eps, files are visible without any problem. Also... this issue does not happen if the pdf is exported on SMB volumes (on the same network).

The network volumes are managed by the Xinet FullPress (latest release), but I'm sure Xinet has nothing to do with this problem, because other programs (Adobe Photoshop and any other "brand" like XPress...) works and writes properly.

So, I try to summarize:

Using Indesign CS 5.x and/or Illustrator CS 5.x, on OSX 10.7.2, with AFP server.

1. export a PDF from Indesign (or Illustrator) on an AFP volume creates hidden files

2. export any other file (from InDesign) or save the document on an AFP shared volume is OK

3. export a PDF to a SMB shared volume is OK

4. export a PDF on an AFP shared volume using another program (like Quark XPress or MS Word...) is OK

Is there a solution to this? I need to use AFP because SMB is unreliable. Also I don't want to force Finder to show all hidden files (it's a wrong approach to the problem, not a real solution).

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, that's weird.

How do you know they are "hidden"? What tool are you using to view them?

The filenames don't start with periods, do they?

The network volumes are managed by the Xinet FullPress (latest release), but I'm sure Xinet has nothing to do with this problem, because other programs (Adobe Photoshop and any other "brand" like XPress...) works and writes properly.

That's not a very convincing set of reasons. Perhaps it is an interaction between Xinet and Adobe. Perhaps it is just Xinet. Perhaps it is just Adobe. Awfully tough to tell.

I would strongly suspect your Xinet software, because this is not a problem anyone else reports, and if it were just InDesign and AFP volumes, I and thousands of other people would see it every day. And we do not.

• 2. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
            Thelothian Level 1

John Hawkinson wrote:

Well, that's weird.

How do you know they are "hidden"? What tool are you using to view them?

The filenames don't start with periods, do they?

That's not a very convincing set of reasons. Perhaps it is an interaction between Xinet and Adobe. Perhaps it is just Xinet. Perhaps it is just Adobe. Awfully tough to tell.

I would strongly suspect your Xinet software, because this is not a problem anyone else reports, and if it were just InDesign and AFP volumes, I and thousands of other people would see it every day. And we do not.

I can see files browsing volumes directly on the server (which is a VMWare virtual machine, with Windows server). Files appears to be normal, with no strange flags, no periods, no strange permissions. They act like Library folder on local machine; hidden with OSX flag (you have to set it "nohidden" to view through Finder).

Xinet is suspected, yes... but please note:

- other macs (with Snow Leopard) writes PDFs correctly

- other programs (on Lion) writes PDFs correctly

- Xinet writes us this is an Adobe issue (naturally...) and they don't want to investigate (for now)

Maybe "the fault" is shared between Adobe and Xinet... we're in the middle and we want to fix this.

• 3. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Do you know if it is the Finder or the machine?

Do you see the files with "ls" in the Terminal?

Do you see them with /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo [if you have it]?

- Xinet writes us this is an Adobe issue (naturally...) and they don't want to investigate (for now)

Well, that's a smoking gun. If they don't have any justification for such a claim, it doesn't hold promising...

I don't personally have any good theories aside from those suggested by the above 3 questions.

• 4. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                Thelothian Level 1

John Hawkinson wrote:

Do you know if it is the Finder or the machine?

Do you see the files with "ls" in the Terminal?

Do you see them with /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo [if you have it]?

1. No, if the Finder (or machine, i've tried on 4 different macs with OSX Lion installed...), it should happen every time I create a PDF, whatever the program that I use. Instead it happens only with InDesign and Illustrator.

2. Yes. And it has the same unix attributes than other files (not hidden)

3. Naturally. Since GetFileInfo is a shell command, if I see it with "ls" I see it with any other shell command. If you are interested in the GetFileInfo output, I paste it here:

file: "/Volumes/raid1/frames_set_2.pdf"

type: "PDF "

creator: "CARO"

attributes: aVbstclinmedz

created: 12/23/2011 09:52:04

modified: 12/23/2011 09:52:05

I think this problem is caused by a wrong way to write the file by ID / ILL. It seems that the write operation is not performed in a conventional manner (as Apple would like). In the meantime I'll try to re-open another ticket on Xinet site, but I want to keep all options open...

• 5. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                  Thelothian Level 1

Just a quick note to confirm the suspicion that the fault lies in InDesign.

Today I tried to create a PDF from InDesign CS4, installed on a Mac with OS X Lion and connected to an AFP server, just like the machine with the problems I reported.

Result? PDF created by InDesign CS4 is clearly visible.

So the problem does not seem to be the server software that manages the AFP protocol but rather the way in which CS5.x InDesign tries to write on these volumes.

• 6. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

As I said before:

This is not a problem anyone else reports, and if it were just InDesign and AFP volumes, I and thousands of other people would see it every day. And we do not.

Keep looking for how your site is different.

Try setting up a different AFP server.

Try using a different client machine (clean install of OS and ID trial).

Best of luck.

• 7. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                      CRA 1970

I am having the exact same problem here, were running a Linux server & 10.6.8, Adobe CS 5, it also happens when saving PDFs from acrobat X it too!

New computers and new software, new problems ;-(

Did anyone find a workaround?

Calvin

• 8. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Hmm, Linux. Which AFP software, netatalk?

So, if you turn on AFP sharing on one of your mac clients, and write to the AFP volume from another one, do you also see the problem?

• 9. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                          CRA 1970 Level 1

Yes it's netatalk, it doesn't matter which mac you look at it on, its invisible.

The only way we have found to get round the problem for now is to show invisible files, though if you want to delete them you need to do it from the PC.

Many thanks

Calvin

• 10. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Calvin:

Yes it's netatalk, it doesn't matter which mac you look at it on, its invisible.

Sorry, I was not clear.

I did not mean to try from another Mac.

My suggestion is you should try a non-netatalk AFP server, i.e. turn one of your regular mac clients into an AFP server for a few minutes.

Because the original poster in this thread seemed to think that the problem was not related to her AFP server software. I don't know what the relationship between Xinet and netatalk is, but it would be good to know if the problem really is specific to netatalk, or maybe something else in your environment.

• 11. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                              CRA 1970 Level 1

Sorry, Being a little thick here, how do you do that?

Calvin

• 13. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                                CRA 1970 Level 1

Thats works! no invisible file now!, but what about the server, why the change, it didn't do this before

• 14. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, we don't know.

I'm afraid you need to talk to the netatalk experts and see why it is interpretting things differently from the "real" Apple AFP server.

I've always had the impression that netatalk is...a little bit dodgy. But it's been years since I've used it seriously.

But I would seek help in a netatalk-specific forum. You'll probably need to enable debugging on the server and bust out tools like tcpdump or wireshark and look at network traffic...

Good luck!

• 15. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                                    CRA 1970 Level 1

Thanks for you help anyway,

This is a bit beyond me, though as I said, it worked fine before, so the software must being doing something different.

Calvin

• 16. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Sure, some software is doing something different, but which one?

InDesign? Netatalk? OS X? Something else?

Who knows?

The good news is that netatalk is open source and it should be much more straightforward to debug than InDesign.

I suspect the real problem is a complex interaction that can be fixed in more than one place. But...good luck.

• 17. Re: Indesign/Illustrator writes hidden PDFs on afp shared volume
                                        billmix

Thelothian -- I know you're looking for a long-term fix, as we all are. However, in the meatime, I've created a simple Automator application to unhide the hidden PDFs. It requires Xcode to be installed (and license terms accepted initially if you haven't done that, initiate the "SetFile" command with a sudo in front of it in Terminal). Hope this is helpful.

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 10.43.02 AM.png