11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2011 2:21 PM by Peter Spier

Color Management problem

Hawkeye334 Level 1

My system: Win7 64bit, Photoshop CS5 and Indesign CS5.5.

I have my own monitor and printer ICC profiles in Photoshop.

My problem: I cannot use colour management with InDesign.

In InDesign 'Color Management' dialog I have only 'Let InDesign Determine Colors'

I have noted on the web an approach to correct this in Bridge where in the 'Creative Suite Color Settings' tab I do have the 'Suite Color Management is not enabled'. I have attempted to follow the instructions to correct this but they appear to be prior to Win 7 64bit and I find it difficult to follow precisely.

Can someone please point me to info relevant to my setup please?

• 1. Re: Color Management problem
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I suspect that you can't use bridge because you didn't buy a suite pacakge, but you should be able to do the same thing manually.

In ID go to  Edit > Color Settings... and you should see essentially the same dialog you have in Photoshop where you can load default profiles. If you need other working profiles for a particualr document you can use Edit > Assign Profiles... or Edit > Convert to Profile...

• 2. Re: Color Management problem
            Hawkeye334 Level 1

Peter - thanks for the reply. You are right, I can assign the required profile to the file I am working on - but this is prior to the print dialog - when I go to the print dialog and 'Color Management' tab I have only the 'Let InDesign Determine Colors' option where I am expecting a dialog similar to Photoshop where various bits of info can be selected (preview, for instance) and Printer of Photoshop determining profile.

I have tried it by assigning the correct profile as you indicate but it is not looking at that profile when I come to print!

I will try to attach the dialog I am looking at and where I am expecting an option to choose the profile.

I do hope that I can get this sorted!ID print.jpg

• 3. Re: Color Management problem

Even with an RGB device on my system I can set a profile on that screen, so I suspect you need to reset your preferences. See Replace Your Preferences

• 4. Re: Color Management problem

And this is completley independent of setting working and default profiles.

• 5. Re: Color Management problem
                  Hawkeye334 Level 1

Peter - I have printed that info out and will study it and see how we go - be back soon.

• 6. Re: Color Management problem
                    Hawkeye334 Level 1

Thanks Peter, sID print.jpgome success - I have renamed the two files - re-launched InDesign and I do now see the profiles in the 'Color Management' dialog (see attachment). I select the required profile and the result is quite good - however something is still not as it should be - the chosen profile appears not to be picking up all the info relating to that profile in Photoshop - media type, preview etc, etc and the print rattles through the printer very fast and therefore the colour is good but not dense enough.

I also note that in Bridge it is still indicating 'Suite Color Management is not enabled'.

What I need is for ID to see the profile in the same way as Photoshop - should be possible?

Would it be possible perhaps to produce profiles directly in ID?

• 7. Re: Color Management problem

In the Graphics section of the dialog, is the Send Image Data filed still set the default "optimized subsampling" setting? Try restting to "All."

As I said above, you may not be able to get Bridge to synchronize non-suite installations, but you will get the same results by entering the same color settings manually.

• 8. Re: Color Management problem
                        Hawkeye334 Level 1

Tried that Peter - no different. There must be something fundamentally wrong in my setup/approach to the task. Fact is, although I am selecting the profile by name ID is not really looking at the profile that I have created with that name in Photoshop - the same file takes about three times longer to print (correctly) in CS5 than it does in ID.

Settings-2.jpgI will attach the color settings dialogs - hopefully there may be something wrong there?

Settings-1.jpg

• 9. Re: Color Management problem

Nothing jumping out here. I do see, though that the default RGB space is Adobe RGB, but the document space has been set to the custom Espon space. Is that the space you normally use in Photoshop?

Heading out shopping with my daughter...

• 10. Re: Color Management problem
                            Hawkeye334 Level 1

Thanks for noting that Peter, I have rectified it. That'll have to be it for now - I'm off visiting family for a few days and will look forward to resolving the problem when I return.

I could just ask in the meantime, is it possible to print with profiles in ID exactly as in CS5 - should I expect the same result 'cos I'm certainly not getting it yet - and I see from the web that I am not alone - it should not be this complicated!

Christmas wishes to you and yours.

• 11. Re: Color Management problem

CS5 is a general designation for Creative Suite 5, so I presume you are using it as shorthand for Photoshop. I don't generally print from Photoshop, nor do I do much printing from ID, but as far as I know, if the settings are the same and you are sending all image data, the prints should look the same.