3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2011 2:25 PM by Bob Dix Photographer

Capturing with Premiere Pro CS5 & Canon Legria HV40

MKoffy

Hello everyone,

I have an issue trying to capture footage from my Canon Legria HV40. My desktop operates with Windows 7 / 64bit and I use a firewire port when attempting to capture from the DV cassette on the Canon Legria HV40. After opening Premiere Pro 5 (not a trial version) I connect my camera via all the correct ports and open the capture window in the software. After setting up all my preferences for the capturing process the software recognises the camera and I am able to operate the camera from my desktop (fast forward, rewind, play etc...).

The issue starts at this point. When i press "Tape" or "Play" then "Record" to start the capturing process the camera kicks into action. However the software does not record anything from the camera.

Does anyone have any suggestions or have they come accross this issue before. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Capturing with Premiere Pro CS5 & Canon Legria HV40
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Might want to read this:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82848.html

Make sure the camera is set to HDV and not auto.

Welcome to the forum.

• 2. Re: Capturing with Premiere Pro CS5 & Canon Legria HV40
            Bill Engeler Level 2

Just a thought, but try not pressing the play arrow - just press the record button in the capture window.  You could also check the scratch disk setup in Project prefs, to make sure where the clips are to be captured to.

• 3. Re: Capturing with Premiere Pro CS5 & Canon Legria HV40
              Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

MKoffy Hi,

It works just fine here, same set up, but with CS5.5.2 not older version.(5.5.1 or 5.5 did not work), other contributers spoke of a "LEGACY" driver?, I think Harm Millard he may know more than I do. We are PAL, the camera obviously works, make sure you  have camera set at 1920 x 1080 i.And the same setting in PP, however PP should automatcally set that for you.

In fact when Exporting to Tape it is amazing and starts the camera with out having the record button executed., it (the HV40 is Anamorphic at 1440 x 1080 (the limitation for Pro tape) and will record at Progressive, the pixels are rectangle not 1.0  , but the output is i). Do not save clips to another DRIVE.It is best in the RAID set up. according to Canon Specs it records at HDV 1080/50i , 1080/25i (PAL) These settings must match the set up in Premiere Pro 5.5.2 exactly.I do not set  IN or Out points, it might have been a good thing to stripe the tape in the first place as it will recognise the Indexing numbering better that way.

I must add the quality of the Export even to Blu-ray astounded me. Nearly as good as the Canon 5D Mark II 1920 x 1080p but, that was from a CF card.

Good luck

Ps. Frankly the Premiere Pro CS5.5.2 surprised me when it recognises all that when it went to work. Because when you used Premiere Pro 1.5.1 everthing was manual, well nearly.