3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2011 4:06 PM by Stan Jones

transcoding VOB files

moonplace Level 1

Hello  PPRO users

I edited a VOB file from an old (privat) DVD in PPRO 5.5 and now want to export this to Encore .

But how do I transport this kind of a MPEG file without transcoding to a lesser quality into Encore to burn this on DVD?

Thanks for responding and happy holidays

Chris

• 1. Re: transcoding VOB files
          Stephen_Spider Level 3

It has to be re-encoded on export.

Quality loss will depend upon bitrate.

• 2. Re: transcoding VOB files
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know... you can't do what you want in PPro, since it does not do "smart" encoding

I've read that the $75 http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm will do smart encoding... so only what was actually change is recoded

• 3. Re: transcoding VOB files
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven't used it for a while, but VideoReDo Plus is only $50, and has all you need for this task.

It will basically do cuts only editing, but allows "frame accurate" cuts (rather than only on gop boundaries).

Copy the DVD files to HDD (you can sometimkes skip that step), you make any edits and/or file combinations, then export as an mpg. It uses an MPV rather than M2V designation for its demultiplexed file. I have not tried that in Encore.

It has limited datarates, but you are only going to get the smart rendering benefit if you use the "no change" option. Ultimately, it will keep the same qu ality you had, but since it was on a DVD, that may not be as high a datarate as you would have like.

Then bring those files into Encore to author.