9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 5:52 AM by Peter Spier

removing pound sign

cyberbaffled Level 1

I have a pound sign at bottom of an InDesign page that interfers with the flow of text.  Anyone know how to remove it?  The Override All Masterpage Items in the Pages menu has no affect.

• 1. Re: removing pound sign
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Switch to Preview mode.

• 2. Re: removing pound sign
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can you show us a screen capture? Use the camera icon onthe web page to embed it in a post like this:

CameraIcon.png

You're most likely looking at an end-of-story marker with non-printing characters showing, which will disappear if you turn off non-printing characters or switch to a preview mode, but it would be helpful to confirm.

• 3. Re: removing pound sign
              cyberbaffled Level 1

Its the pound sign that's at the beginning (upper left corner) of every page but somehow got positioned at several lines up from the bottom of a page when I encountered two superpositioned pages.  Now even though the page with the defective pound sign is correctly threaded to the succeeding page, no text gets past the pound sign to complete the page.

• 4. Re: removing pound sign
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Please post the screenshot, it's worth 1,000 words.

• 5. Re: removing pound sign

cyberbaffled wrote:

Its the pound sign that's at the beginning (upper left corner) of every page but somehow got positioned at several lines up from the bottom of a page when I encountered two superpositioned pages.  Now even though the page with the defective pound sign is correctly threaded to the succeeding page, no text gets past the pound sign to complete the page.

That certainly sounds like an end of story marker. Every text frame ahs one, and it would normally be in the upper left corner of the type area in an empty frame. Some possibilities for why this might not be at the top are that the frame is set to bottom aligned for vertical justification or has a large top inset set in the text frame options, but more likely since you mentioned superimposed pages (whatever that means), is that one of your objects has text wrap applied and that prevents text from appearing in that space in the frame.

• 6. Re: removing pound sign
                    cyberbaffled Level 1

There's a way to remove the pound sign and the formating it represents.  I've solved this problem before but have forgotten the solution.

• 7. Re: removing pound sign
                      cyberbaffled Level 1

I'm "correct"ing this out because I can't give a screen shot because of proprietary text.  I resolved problem with the kluge solution of adding new pages and deleting the pages with the pound sign.

• 8. Re: removing pound sign
                        Michael Gianino Level 4

So, did this turn out to be an actual printable character, or the "end of story" invisible character? If the latter, how does it interfere with the flow of text?

• 9. Re: removing pound sign

cyberbaffled wrote:

There's a way to remove the pound sign and the formating it represents.  I've solved this problem before but have forgotten the solution.

The only way to remove the formatting represented would be to change the frame type to either unassigned or graphics (which you cannot do if there is actually text in the frame), but that will only last until you click inthe frame again with your text tool unless you adjust your preferences to disallow the text tool to convert frames (uncheck the box in the Type section of the prefs). It's a very common problem that users create an unassigned or graphics frame to use as a background, but don't lock it in any way, and then at some point clcik the text tool inside it and inadvertantly convert it to a text frame.