9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 9:31 AM by Frustrated in AZ

Where is my authorization window to transfer to device?

Mattie84123

I'm having a difficult time tracking this problem down.  Library, B/N and Adobe are no help.  I'm many hours into this so hoping someone out there can help.  In borrowing a book from my local library I get it download to windows (on my PC), from windows to ADE.  Transfering from ADE to my device (Nook) is the problem.  I don't get the pop up window for authorization.  No authorization=no icon to drag book to.  I've gone over many forum postings but found nothing.  If anybody out there can help, I'll give you my first born son.  

• 1. Re: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device?
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I'm way past the son-raising age, even if he's an adult, so if this works,

then you keep him - more power to you.

Nook/ADE interfacing seems to account for a high proportion of posts to the

forum.  Don't know why and won't speculate, except to go over the basics

and see if there's something missing....

First, you need to be clear on the definitions of 'authorization'.  If

B&N's website recognizes the Nook when you've plugged it into your computer

and called up their site, then your Nook has been registered with B&N and

has a small file with an ID on it.  At the time you did the registration,

you could have checked to see that the Nook's software is at the latest

level - and you can still do that.  It's a good idea.

Also, if you used your Adobe ID and password when you registered with B&N,

then using ADE is a bit easier because ADE uses the small file on the Nook

to determine that the unit has been registered.  If the ID is the same as

your Adobe ID, it's a 'slam dunk'.  If not, it can be done, but may have to

be done manually.

The version of your Windows PC software can make a difference.  If you're

using Windows 7, there are some issues with security.  I am going to

'assume' that you're at this point: the Nook works with B&N and your

Windows PC.

So, if you plug in your Nook to your PC and the PC recognizes it and

assigns it a drive letter, we know Windows should not be a problem for

transferring ebooks to your Nook.

After the Nook is plugged in and recognized, start ADE.  If all is well,

ADE will show the Nook as an item in the Bookshelf section of the Library

View panel (left hand side of the panel).  If it doesn't show up, which I

assume is your case, try using the drop-down menu accessed from the small

arrow next to the word "Library".  You should see a line that will allow

you to authorize the Nook.

Note also that the digital rights assigned to the ebook by the publisher,

reseller or library may keep you from copying the ebook to your Nook.  If

this happens, you'll get a message telling you so - and you'll have the

opportunity to go back to the library and discuss what happened with them.

They may be able to help you - or not.

Hope this helps!

===============

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device?
            Mattie84123 Level 1

Thank you for your response and advice Frustrated.  I apologize for my delay in returning your kindness.

Your suggestions were helpful and educational.  Many frustrating hours later I've decided something is wrong

with my computer itself.  None of my USB ports recognize the Nook.  I won't bore you with all the agognizing

details of how I came to this conclusion.

Computer is going to IT guy tomorrow.  At this point my hopes are not too high, but I'm at the end of the rope.

I would like to thank you so much for your kindness.  The advice you gave both educated me and renewed my faith

in the fact there are good people out there.

By the way, my son is 24 years old and can be quite handy...are you sure you won't reconsider?

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 10:35:21 -0700

To: heidiasm@hotmail.com

Subject: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device?

Re: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device? created by Frustrated in AZ in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussion

I'm way past the son-raising age, even if he's an adult, so if this works,

then you keep him - more power to you.

Nook/ADE interfacing seems to account for a high proportion of posts to the

forum.  Don't know why and won't speculate, except to go over the basics

and see if there's something missing....

First, you need to be clear on the definitions of 'authorization'.  If

B&N's website recognizes the Nook when you've plugged it into your computer

and called up their site, then your Nook has been registered with B&N and

has a small file with an ID on it.  At the time you did the registration,

you could have checked to see that the Nook's software is at the latest

level - and you can still do that.  It's a good idea.

Also, if you used your Adobe ID and password when you registered with B&N,

then using ADE is a bit easier because ADE uses the small file on the Nook

to determine that the unit has been registered.  If the ID is the same as

your Adobe ID, it's a 'slam dunk'.  If not, it can be done, but may have to

be done manually.

The version of your Windows PC software can make a difference.  If you're

using Windows 7, there are some issues with security.  I am going to

'assume' that you're at this point: the Nook works with B&N and your

Windows PC.

So, if you plug in your Nook to your PC and the PC recognizes it and

assigns it a drive letter, we know Windows should not be a problem for

transferring ebooks to your Nook.

After the Nook is plugged in and recognized, start ADE.  If all is well,

ADE will show the Nook as an item in the Bookshelf section of the Library

View panel (left hand side of the panel).  If it doesn't show up, which I

assume is your case, try using the drop-down menu accessed from the small

arrow next to the word "Library".  You should see a line that will allow

you to authorize the Nook.

Note also that the digital rights assigned to the ebook by the publisher,

reseller or library may keep you from copying the ebook to your Nook.  If

this happens, you'll get a message telling you so - and you'll have the

opportunity to go back to the library and discuss what happened with them.

They may be able to help you - or not.

Hope this helps!

===============

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4103053#4103053

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4103053#4103053. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 3. Re: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device?
              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I try to help.  As for your son, I'm not in a position to accept your kind

offer.  He would want a young woman companion, and that's where the

problems start.....

==========

• 4. Re: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device?
                Mattie84123 Level 1

You were a great help, in fact the only person who understood the problem I was having.

I just got my computer back, it was in bad shape. Now computer is working great.  Haven't tested Nook yet, will do that when

I'm done with email.

Not to seem too persistant (desperate?) regarding son.  He has a girlfriend, I was thinking more along the line of indentured servant.

As for where the problems start...I'll bet we both have some stories to tell.  I'm not the little old lady I appear to be. But this being a public forum it's better left at that.

I hope your holidays went well and the coming year will bring happiness and serenity.

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:25:55 -0700

Re: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device? created by Frustrated in AZ in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussion

I try to help.  As for your son, I'm not in a position to accept your kind

offer.  He would want a young woman companion, and that's where the

problems start.....

==========

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4107705#4107705

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4107705#4107705. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 5. Re: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device?
                  JaneMash

Hi guys,

I am pretty much having the same issue- Adobe Digital Editions won't recognize/detect my Kindle and won't give me an option to authorize it.  My Adobe ID is the same as my Kindle ID, and my computer recognizes my Kindle.  Any ideas on next steps to get Adobe to recognize/authorize my Kindle?

Thanks so much for any help.

• 6. Re: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device?
                    Frustrated in AZ Level 4

If you read the Adobe Help section (F1 key) on Command Keys, you'll see a

set of commands that will allow you to authorize your Kindle.

===========

• 7. Re: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device?
                      Mattie84123 Level 1

Hi, 

Sounds like you are having the same problem as I was.  I found out it was my computer having the issues.  I finally took it to my "computer doctor" who fixed the problem and also got Nook running.  I'm sorry I can't be of much help.  I'm not sure what the problem was but he had to clear my hard drive and start over.  Obviously my computer had issue that were not connected to Nook but was causing problems. 

Good luck.  It was a real pain to get this thing running, but I love it now.

Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 09:39:02 -0700

Re: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device? created by JaneMash in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussion

Hi guys,

I am pretty much having the same issue- Adobe Digital Editions won't recognize/detect my Kindle and won't give me an option to authorize it.  My Adobe ID is the same as my Kindle ID, and my computer recognizes my Kindle.  Any ideas on next steps to get Adobe to recognize/authorize my Kindle?

Thanks so much for any help.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4123814#4123814

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4123814#4123814. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 8. Re: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device?
                        JaneMash Level 1

I'm assuming you mean the section on "shortcut keys"... I looked through every command listed, but I didn't see anything that was related to authorization.  Did you find something specific in the list that you thought would be helpful that you could share with me? 

• 9. Re: Where is my authorization window to transfer to device?
                          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I'm trying to help , but first, let's go over definitions, so we're talking

about the same thing.  It would appear that I may have made an assumption

about your post that's in error.  I've re-read your post, and have a

different understanding of your problem.

You use the term 'authorization window'.  I don't know what exactly you

mean.

So, if you mean 'my ereader doesn't show up anywhere - how do I find it and

get ADE to recognize it?', there is no 'window' or separate process to

authorize an ereader - ADE does that, based on whether the ereader is a

supported device and whether it has been registered with its

manufacturer/bookseller.

If you mean 'how do I transfer an ebook to my ereader', your ereader shows

up on the Bookshelf (left hand panel) of the Library screen, all you have

to do is to drag and drop the ebook onto the ereader.

If you mean something else, such as 'My ereader doesn't show up in ADE.

I've registered it with the manufacturer/bookseller, and my computer

recognizes it as an attached device - now what do I do?", a few

troubleshooting steps come to mind.

Here's the Digital Editions text on all of this, for reference, so we can

go from here:

"Adobe Digital Editions allows you to transfer items from your library to a

supported eReader device<http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/devices>

Connect the supported eReader device to your computer and launch Digital

Editions. Digital Editions automatically detects the presence of your

device and offers to authorize it with your Adobe ID. If you have not

authorized Digital Editions with your computer, you will need to complete

that first (Digital Editions guides you through that process: View the

Activation

and Authorization

topic<http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/help/#activation>).

Both Digital Editions and the device must be authorized to be able to

transfer protected content to and from the device. Unprotected content can

be transferred to and from the device without authorizing either the device

or Digital Editions, but Adobe strongly advises authorizing Digital

Editions as it gives you content portability for your protected books,

whether on Digital Editions or the supported device."

===================