5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2011 6:16 PM by Stephen_Spider

Using bridge to move files into bins after the files are in a project

rowby Level 1

Hi

Using CS5.

Once I have my files in a project, can I go back to Bridge and re-arrange them -- move them into a different bin?  

Or once they are in a project I need to do all of my moving within Premiere CS5?

Thanks

Rowby

• 1. Re: Using bridge to move files into bins after the files are in a project
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you move your stuff around in the Bridge after importing them into Premiere your files will go off line.

• 2. Re: Using bridge to move files into bins after the files are in a project
            Stephen_Spider Level 3

I don't know if there is a way to see bins in bridge. I do know that you will want to do any organizing in your Premiere project.

Be very clear on the difference between organizing and naming media in bins inside of a premiere project and moving, organizing and renaming files on the computer.

You do not want to move or rename media on the computer once you have imported it into Premiere.

I find certain novice editors make this mistake over and over. I guess they find their project folder to cluttered or something, perhaps have not practiced good file management from the start and don't know which files are from which project.

• 3. Re: Using bridge to move files into bins after the files are in a project
              rowby Level 1

Too bad, If Bridge would recognize bins --and not cause the issues you both brought up -- it would be a more convenient way to organize projects and bins.

I find Premiere's Project bin a bit clunky.  Moving files around into their appropriate bins should work more like moving files in  Bridge -- making it easier to organize.  They are very similar, but I find moving files around in Bridge to be easier.

Rowby

• 4. Re: Using bridge to move files into bins after the files are in a project
                shooternz Level 6

The big difference is....

The Bins inside a Project (inside Premiere) do not hold any files.   Thay are only the "names" of the files.  "Instances of the files"

They serve as pointers to where the files are actually residing on HDDs and are there to  keep your project tidy and managed. (organised)

The folders in Bridge are directly linked to where the files reside on the HDD and so you have the power to move them on the HDD just like Windows Explorer or Mac Finder.

Bins and Bridge and Explorer / Finder all need the user to be organised in the first place. 

Once you start a project...its too late!

• 5. Re: Using bridge to move files into bins after the files are in a project
                  Stephen_Spider Level 3

"Too bad, If Bridge would recognize bins --and not cause the issues you both brought up -- it would be a more convenient way to organize projects and bins."

That's how pretty much all content creation software works. It's not unique Premiere. Premiere and FCP have programming built in to help people find files and re-connect media. It's still a not a great option when people really mess up their projects.

The best practice is to organize the best you can through bridge or windows\mac navigation tools first, before you start a project. Bridge is especially handy with files from flash media, where a camera's file\folder structure and naming conventions can be a pain when you have a ton of files with non-descript names and 500 folders with one video clip in each.

Once you've organized your media on the computer, you can import a folder as a bin in Premiere.